7. Kiara

After a long day, Marley was in her room, tucked inside the blankets on her bed. She waited for the sleep to drift her off but instead, she found herself tossing and turning. The images of Eden's golden eyes digging into her as he held her against the wall kept replaying in her head.

After he'd left, Marley was first terrified, then excited thinking about him, and at last angry at her being excited. He's bad news, she chanted the mantra thousandth time since morning.

Marley had found many guys attractive in the past. She had even drooled over one guy in particular in her hometown. Flynn. However, she always kept her distance from him as his whole presence screamed domination, just like Eden's, something Marley wasn't a fan of. In fact, Flynn was just like Eden, same vibes, same clout, same dominance oozing out of him, but little less arrogance. Her teenage crush on him was no big deal as every other girl liked him, just like her.

But the pull that she felt towards Eden was so strong and powerful that it was impossible to ignore. She was losing sleep over him, Flynn never did that to her. The boy was slowly highjacking her mind. Marley huffed, No. Maybe, she had a thing for jacked up, dominant looking boys. Many girls were into that sort of stuff. Big deal. But Eden was bad news, and she wouldn't let her stupid fantasies overlook that.

Marley looked at wall clock, it showed 1 o'clock. She sighed, before closing her eyes to get some sleep, but her mind again shamelessly wandered back to Eden. It looked like she wasn't going to get any sleep tonight.

******

Marley with a tired yawn entered through the big metal doors of school. When she reached the hallway of her locker she took a double take. There in the middle of hall Kiara had a girl pushed against the lockers. Other students were gathering around them to get the whiff of the drama. The girl was withering to get out of Kiara's hold, who had grabbed her wrist rather forcefully. She had caramel brown skin and long black hair which reached her waist. Her eyes were narrowed menacingly at Kiara. The girl was taking short breaths like holding herself back from snapping at Kiara.

Realization struck Marley, the girl was Mark's girlfriend. She had often seen them together usually kissing and making out in the lunchroom.

Rachel was standing beside Kiara, trying to calm her and pleading her to let the girl go. Marley quickly darted to them.

The girl said something which made Kiara red. She was about to slap the girl when Marley grabbed her hand in the mid-air.

"Let go Marley." Kiara shouted furiously.

"Woah, Calm down. You will get into trouble for this," Marley replied in an attempt to cool her down.

Kiara shot an angry glare at Marley to scare her off but she didn't budge. Marley knew later she would be facing a really angry Kiara.

On hearing footsteps, they all turned to see Mark and Matthew approaching them. Mark looked furious. And seeing him Kiara's grip on the girl loosened, who shoved her away without any effort.

"Watch it, or next time I'll rip that pretty face of yours," she warned before walking away to Mark. She snaked her arms around his neck and kissed him possessively, and Mark didn't mind returning the gesture.

"You are coming with us," Rachel muttered when she saw Kiara's face twisting in a snarl. She dragged her away with the help of Marley.

The three girls entered the washroom. Rachel locked the door from inside. Marley checked if someone was already inside and fortunately she found no one. It was time for confrontation.

"What happened out there?" Marley asked Rachel because Kiara looked too terrifying.

"That bitch! Why did you stop me Marley?" Kiara glared at her.

"And then you would have deserved the suspension." Rachel snapped at Kiara, although her anger was nowhere near Kiara's. "Don't you know this school runs at the tip of their fingers. You shouldn't mess with them Kiara." Rachel continued, her voice lower in concern.

The rage in Kiara's eyes was now replaced by the sadness. A tear fell down her cheeks, and soon many more followed. Rachel hugged her and she unconsciously leaned into her warm embrace.

Rachel, still holding Kiara into a tight hug, looked at Marley. "Emilia came on to her and accused her of going after Mark," she said, "obviously it was a lie."

"But why would she do that?"

Rachel frowned. "Three of them share a history."

__________

A year ago:

Kiara and Mark used to be together. They were the 'it' couple of school, a bad boy and an equally bad girl in love. Mark was a hothead, but a putty in Kiara's fingers, a fact Kiara was too proud of. They had been together for two years.

In October Mark left Marshville along with Matthew to visit his uncle in Eastbourne. When he returned, he wasn't himself anymore. He broke up with Kiara, or more appropriately dumped her. Everything was too sudden, and Kiara couldn't grasp it. Mark went from never missing a chance to hold her hand to completely ignoring her. It hurt. Badly.

A week later, a new girl walked into the school, Emilia. Her caramel brown skin and hazel eyes got everybody's attention and also Mark's. Soon, they were seen in the hallways and lunchroom making out. That was a last straw that broke Kiara. The pain of losing him had turned into anger at how easily he could move on. And if it wasn't enough, soon the rumors floated around the hallways that Mark had met Emilia back at his uncle's town.

The betrayal Kiara felt still hadn't simmered down, and looking at them only fanned her anger.

__________

Present:

Marley stood against the sink while Rachel narrated the past. Kiara was now sitting on one of the seats. Her sobbing dwindling into occasional sniffles, and the mascara smudged on her freckled cheeks.

"Hey, stop pining for that jerk. Besides, you have a boyfriend now," Rachel scolded.

"Yeah... About that. We broke up yesterday." Kiara sniffled.

"Again! Maybe you should take a break from dating guys."

"I think I should." Kiara replied, her face blank. Rachel and Marley exchanged a look.

"Can we do anything to cheer you up?" Marley asked.

"There's nothing in this shitty school that could cheer you up." Rachel scoffed.

"How about we ditch school and go do something fun? I don't think we'll be able to study today anyways... So?" Marley suggested. She wasn't a big fan of ditching school, but a single bunk wasn't going to ruin her report. And if it could cheer Kiara, it was worth it.

"Let's go shopping!" Rachel cried, making Kiara flinch.

******