8. Supernatural

"Hey! Marley... uh... Can I ask you something?" Sanjay said, his voice wavering.

Marley turned around to face a fidgeting Sanjay. She was taken aback by his nervous state. He wasn't the shy one and hardly ever refrained from speaking out his mind. She was supposed to be like this.

They were sitting at their desk next to each other, waiting for teacher's arrival for the calculus class. Few other seats were occupied by other students. Two weeks had passed since their first encounter and their friendship only grew.

"Sure." Marley had studied him for the last few days. He had been acting strange. She had tried to get him spill out whatever that was bothering him but he never uttered a word about it and always changed the subject. She could only go so far without pushing him too much.

"Do you ...uh.. believe in supernatural stuff?" He asked looking down at his palms that laid on his lap. He mumbled the last part very quickly.

The images of flickering golden eyes of certain someone flashed through her mind but she quickly wiped them away.

"Uhm... I don't know. I never saw stuff like that." She replied casually, trying to convince herself to believe the words that spurted out of her mouth. "Why do you ask?"

"Never mind." He quickly turned away, and glared at the textbook on his desk..

"Is everything alright? You've been zoning out lately?" Marley made another attempt.

"Yeah... Everything's fine." He mumbled, his eyes still fixed to the textbook.

It was the circumstances like this that made Marley wish she had some social skills. They might come in handy. She could feel Sanjay was anxious about something but never pushed it as she didn't want to overstep her boundaries. They had only known each other for two weeks.

Suddenly, a thought made its way into her mind. "Is it Oliver? Is he bothering you?" Words spurted out of her mouth without her permission.

Sanjay's head whipped to look at her, eyes wide and mouth half open. Marley realized she hit a nerve.

"You can talk to me about it," She continued, "obviously if you want."

"No, he-he's...just." Sanjay let out a heavy sigh. His eyes once again found the calculus book. "It's nothing," he said exasperated.

"If you say so." Marley relented with a frown.

*******

The noise of chatting and laughing of teenagers was pricking the inside of Eden's ears. They were too loud. The cafeteria was loaded with students but his gaze only fell on one, who was adamant on ignoring it, Marley. A low growl escaped from his mouth only to be heard by his friends sitting beside him.

"How long are you gonna wait?" Matthew asked after hearing the alpha's frustrated growl.

"Not long. I am going to do it today. She just has to deal with it," he replied, and turned to Oliver. "How's Sanjay taking it?"

"Well, he passed out. Then tried his best to stamp it as a nightmare but eventually he gave into the bond. He still avoids me." Oliver slipped out a small chuckle and continued. "He's adorable when he tries that but he's good and accepting it."

"How did you manage to keep it from him for almost three months? I cannot even manage for two weeks?" Eden furrowed his eyebrows and again shifted his vision on her. He was getting impatient.

"My Nana told me that it is harder for Alphas to stay away from their mates... they are more eager because of their dominating nature," Matthew added.