Chapter 13: The End of the Order of Brighid

“Saorla killed herself?” I asked.

“Yes,” Hindergog said.

“But she should have fought,” said Fanny. “She gave up. If she and Cathaír had fought too, they could have whipped Dughall’s butt.”

“My mistress was a formidable warrior, and she might have ‘whipped his butt’ as you say, lass, but she could not take the chance. If there was any possibility that Dughall could lay his hands on the torc in the Sacred Grove ... well, it was just too dangerous to risk.”

“Why?” asked Jake. “What would happen if Dughall had been successful?”

“Mysteries are revealed in the Netherworld. Some things are best kept a mystery.”

“But you want me to go there. If some things are best left to mystery, why send me there?”

“You must go, my young mistress, so that you can prevent Dughall from learning the secrets of the Netherworld. ”

“Are you saying Dughall would use the information for evil, not good?” Fanny asked.

“Evil is all that Dughall knows,” replied Hindergog. “Now young ones, my story is almost complete. Stay quiet while I finish the tale of Saorla and the Order of Brighid.”

*     *     *

As Bian Sídhe wailed, Dughall, Cormac, Macha and Cian ran through the Grove on the old, hidden path to the Well. The wood was thick and cut into their ankles and wrists as they ran.

In time, the copse began to clear, and it opened to reveal a circle of stones around a well. Dughall burst into the clearing and there, lying beside the stones was Saorla, her body lifeless, her skin pale alabaster. Saorla’s fingers were still curled around her dagger, wet with her own blood.

Dughall barked orders to Macha. “Remove her cloak so I may take my prize,” he hollered.

“It is not here, you fool,” Macha replied.

“What do you mean?” he yelled back.

“Do you not remember a thing that I speak to you? She killed herself so the torc would release. She probably had someone take it. If she did, they are long gone by now.” As she spoke, Macha pulled Saorla’s cloak aside to reveal her right arm, bare now that the torc was gone.

Dughall was silent for a moment then began a low, guttural scream that soon rose higher and higher until it vied with Bian Sídhe’s own wailing. Dughall’s fury encompassed him. He pulled his sword and in one quick movement, swung his sharply honed blade at Cormac and cut his head clean off his body. Cormac’s body fell with a thud, blood gushing from the gaping wound where his head used to be.

“Feel better now?” Macha taunted.

“Watch your tone, pixie, or you will be next. I grow weary of the sight of you,” he replied.

“You will not kill me,” she said.

“Give me one good reason why I should not lay waste to you, the old man there, and everyone in my path?”

“Because this old man and I are the only ones that can help you achieve your greatest desire.”

“I have listened to you and tolerated this insipid old fool. Look what it has brought me. This young girl has outwitted us all.” Dughall punctuated his statement with a kick to Saorla’s limp body.

The ground began to rumble and shake. The sky blackened further and thunder bellowed. All around Saorla’s body the ground began to crack. Up through the cracks came grass and vines that wound around Saorla’s corpse. Within a matter of seconds, the ground swallowed her and her jeweled dagger whole.

As quickly as the rumbling and shaking had begun it stopped. The cracks disappeared. The sky returned to its overcast grey. The thunder ceased. There was no trace of Saorla. Even the bloodstains on the ground were gone. It was as if she had never existed.

Even after seeing the pixie and Dark Wizard magick; even after his run-in with the Lianhan Sídhe; after seeing the vines and trees come to life to protect the Grove; even after all the magick he had seen, Dughall still had a hard time believing what he had just seen. For a moment, he questioned whether any of it was real.

“Ah, ashes to ashes,” broke in Cian. With that statement, he turned to leave.

“Where do you think you are going?” asked Dughall.

“It is done here,” he replied. “You have failed, oh angry one. Time for you to go on to your next conquest.”

“I do not accept failure,” Dughall hissed. “Someone took that torc, and whoever has it cannot be far away from here,” he said.

With that, he turned on his heal and ordered Macha and the Dark Wizard to come with him. I will find that torc if it is the last thing that I do.