Chapter 55: Stuck Inside a Tin Can

 “We can’t stay in this tin can forever,” whined Fanny. “We have to do something.”

“How long do you think they can legally hold us here?” asked Jake.

“I don’t think they’re concerned with the legality of holding us,” said Liam.

“These idiots aren’t going to stop Dughall. We’ve got to do it,” said Fan.

“Do you have any ideas? Because the last idea I had got us into indefinite detention,” Liam said.

“First we gotta’ escape this place.”

“Good luck with that,” said Jake.

Fanny ignored Jake’s remark. “I’ve been laying here looking up at that vent and thinkin’ I can fit into that. It’s got to go somewhere.”

“And what about the cameras up there watching us?” Jake pointed to the security cameras mounted from the ceiling.

Fanny thumbed her nose directly at the nearest ceiling mounted camera.

“Nice, real nice. We’re in serious trouble and you’re being a wise ass. Are you trying to get us sent to prison?”

“Okay, genius, since you’re so smart, why don’t you come up with a way to divert their attention while I shimmy my butt through that vent so I can try to find a way to get us out of here.”

Jake and Fanny’s bickering became like a background buzz to Liam as he concentrated on the potential of Fanny’s plan.

“Hey, you two stop arguing for a minute. The cameras don’t move”

“Yeah, so?” asked Jake.

“So, that means that we can move them. Then, when none of them are focused on the vent, Fanny can get into it without being seen.”

“Brilliant Mr. A,” said Fanny.

“I don’t know about brilliant, but it’s worth a shot.”

Liam boosted Jake up so that he could adjust all the cameras, taking care not to be seen while doing it. It wasn’t easy, but within a half an hour, they cameras were repositioned so that none of them looked directly on the vent Fanny planned to climb into.

“Ready, Fan?” Liam asked.

“As ready as I’ll ever be. What should I look for?”

“A room without anyone in it would be nice,” Jake said.

“I know that nub. I mean, any particular kind of room you can think of?”

“If you can find a supply room or equipment room, that might be a safe bet,” Liam offered.

“Okay, the man with the plan, that’s what I’m talking about. Well, here goes.”

Jake and Liam boosted Fanny up to the vent. She easily opened the vent screen and hoisted herself into the airshaft.

“Yuck! This place is disgusting.”

“Oh please, it can’t be any worse than your room,” said Jake.

“Shut it nerd.”

That was the last thing they heard Fanny say. Jake and Liam sat quietly and listened to Fanny’s body banging the metal airshaft as she shimmied along. After about five minutes, it was once again silent as Fanny disappeared into the bowels of CERN. All they could do was sit and wait for Fanny to return with a key so they could escape their tin can prison.