Chapter 18: The Inn

Chapter 18: The Inn

 Jake had been right. The train ride was fairly short. We got to Drogheda and called around for lodgings and found an inn to stay in. We decided it was best to go to Monasterboice at night seeing as how we might have to dig in the ground and all. The locals would likely frown on grave robbing.

The innkeeper was a friendly little guy who went by the name Paddy. He wore a tweed cap and he had red, round cheeks and beefy hands. He didn’t seem to question that there were three American kids wanting a room for the night. He did ask what we were about.

Jake thought quick and blurted out sightseeing. “We’re planning to go to Monasterboice first, you know, to take a look at those crosses.”

Like all the Irish we had met so far, Paddy was quick to offer his help along with a few stories and suggestions for other places to visit.

“You didn’t come all the way to Ireland just to see a few Celtic crosses, now did you lad?” he asked with a chuckle.

“No sir,” Jake replied. “But that’s first on our agenda anyway. Could you suggest how we might get there seeing as how we don’t have a car?”

“Oh, not a problem. It’s about eight to nine kilometers from here. My mate Mack O’Donohugh, he has a cab. He can take you there.”

“Eight kilometers? How many miles is that Jake?” I asked.

“It’s about five to six miles lass,” Paddy offered.

“Okay, thanks Paddy,” I said as Paddy walked us to our room. “If we need that ride, we’ll let you know.”

“Here you go youngsters,” Paddy said. He opened the door for us and showed us into a tidy room with one double bed and one twin bed. It had old red wallpaper and cream-colored carpet and walls. Paddy looked like he was going to stay and chat with us some more until Fanny faked a big yawn.

“Oh, you’re tired from your long journey. Some jet lag, huh? Well, you let me know if you need anything.” Paddy walked out and the door slammed shut behind him.

Fanny and I plopped ourselves onto the little beds to rest. I think we were both almost asleep when Jake yelled at us. “You can’t sleep. We have to get out there,” he whined.

“Sleep first,” Fanny said. She rolled over with her back to us.

“You don’t have time for sleep now,” said Jake. “Come on, we have to make a plan for how we’re going to get that torc.”

“Calm down nub,” said Fanny. “We’ve got time. Plan later. I need sleep.”

“Come on Fan, Jake’s right,” I said. I wanted to sleep too, but Jake had a point. We needed to plan first, sleep later.

“You two plan without me. You haven’t needed me so far. You don’t need me now,” Fan replied.

We’d been a trio since pre-school, and there’s usually an odd man out. As the only sister to four older brothers, Fanny was pretty used to being the center of attention when she wanted to be.

“Fan, you know we need you,” I said.

“No you don’t. Jake’s enormous melon brain will come up with all the plans you need and now that you’re like a warrior goddess or whatever ... well, you don’t need my talents anymore.”

Ah, that was it. Fanny was used to being the muscle. She may be small, but Fanny is one of the strongest people I’ve ever seen. Ever since second grade when she kicked the crap out of this huge third-grader, Tommy, when he tried to take her lunch box from her. Well no one messed with Fanny again. The teachers had to come pull her off his chest, and she was still wailing on him. She was half his size and not a scratch on her but Tommy got led to the office with his nose bleeding buckets.

Between that fight and the fact that Fanny is the star player of every sport there is, everyone pretty much steers clear of her. She’s been like my bodyguard ever since the Greta incident that started it all for me. It doesn’t make her popular, but she stands by me to make sure no one messes with me.

I went and sat next to her. “Fanny, I need you. I’ll always need you,” I said.

“Em, you’re strong too. You can take care of yourself,” she said without turning over.

“Yeah, I’ve got some power building in me. But Fanny, you know I’m a big coward. I don’t have your courage. Your bravery makes me stronger. I can’t do this without you,” I said.

There was quiet for a while. I heard a few sniffles but didn’t say anything about it.

After a few minutes, Fan turned over, her eyes rimmed with red. “You know I’ll do anything to help you, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I know that,” I said as I hugged her. “And I’ll do anything for you. For both of you. We’re in this together.”

Drill sergeant Jake interrupted our beautiful moment.

“Are you two done with your Lifetime TV moment? We’ve got to make a plan, then get some sleep, then head out to find this thing ... ”

Fanny and I both grabbed pillows and threw them at Jake, stopping him midsentence. Fanny threw hers so hard it knocked him over.

“See,” I said. “You’re still the biggest muscle here.”

We laughed and promised Jake we’d listen. He didn’t actually need us to come up with a plan. We mainly nodded as Jake outlined his strategy for the evening. Finally, we all decided to get a few hours of sleep before we set out. Soon we were going to be runaways and grave robbers. I doubt any of us will ever get into college. Good-bye scholarships.