Prologue

Richard was so sick of packing. He'd packed for the flight from London to Boston; unpacked and stayed with his aunt and uncle for a week. Packed back up, flew to New York, unpacked for three days with his father, and then packed up again before heading to camp. He'd been looking forward to three months before he had to do it all again. That was before that owl had crashed into his breakfast plate.

     At first, he'd thought one of the Athena cabin owls was just pyscho. He'd stood up, dripping from head to toes in syrup and milk and tried his best not to glower at the owl that was hooting aplologetically. Blending in got tricky when birds crash landed in your pancakes. One of the guys from the Athena Cabin had rushed over, looking as apologetic as the bird. He'd picked it up, carefully avoiding sticky spots on its feathers when he stopped completely.

     "This isn't one of ours."

     Then Richard noticed the letter tied to its leg.

     Even now he was having trouble making head or tail of it. the yellow parchment sat off to the side, the cherry red wax seal glinting in the light. He was convinced it was all some eleaborate prank by the Herems cabin, who probably didn't have anything better to do. Why mess with him sepcifically though? And how would they have gotten Chiron and Mr. D in on it? The two of them had exchanged a quiet look before Mr. D had told him to pack his bags and Chiron had informed him he was contacting his father. Had he done something wrong, or were the two of them just feeling tricky?

     Richard picked up the letter again, having given up attempting to pack a while ago and re read th first line.

     'Dear Mr. Goodwin,

We are please to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.'

     What the hades kind of a name was 'Hogwarts'? Then there was the supply list enclosed. Richard wasn't really one to talk, considering her wandered around with a sword at his hip for three months at a time, but some of the items seemed weird. Why would he need a cauldron? Or a broom? Not that he was allowed one. Parents were reminded that first years weren't allowed brooms. Maybe they were to young to be trusted with sweeping.

     "I see you've made no progess."

     Richard looked up and over at the cabin door, flushing slightly red as another member of the cabin entered. Lisa was a close to him as his full blooded family was. The girl was a few years older than him, and while her pale white skin and golden hair contrasted with his own dark features, they'd often been asked it they were cousins at the very least. They acted close enough for it.

     Lisa laughed as he scrambled to shove all his items into his bag.

     "I'm almost done!"

     "Yeah. You get any closer and you're going to split a seem." She stopped him and pulled is bag towards herself, begining to fold everything in a much neater fashion. "As often as I help you with this, you think you'd leanr how to do it."

     Richard shrugged, pocketting the letter quickly. The last thing he needed was for Lisa to see the crazy happening in his life. "Maybe I just can't be bothered. It's all coming out soon anyway and then I'll throw it all back in again. What's the point in being neat?"

     "So you don't look like a pig when you open it back up?" Lisa smirked down at him. Even kneeling down deside him, she was a good foot or two taller. Tall with an athletic build. That was the only way to pick out a child of Nike by feature. Richard was still waiting for his growth spurt.

     "Anynbody spying on me when I open my suitcase doesnt really have a valid opinion."

     "Come on, Richie. Grab your other bag and stick the rest of your stuff in it. It'll go faster if you're helping."