Cheaters and Children of Nike

"What do you mean 'impounded'?!"

"What do you think I mean?"

Richard really struggled with not reaching across the counter and punching the man in front of him. "Look, I paid for you to hold on to that car for three weeks. We don't have any other transportation for the moment, and-"

"Not my problem," the man snapped, "You paid for three weeks exactly. 21 business days, from opening to closing. It's four hours past opening on the 22nd day. your car was taking up space I could be loaning to another customer, so I had it taken out. You have an issue with it?"

"Yeah, actually, I do!"

"Take it up with the DMV when you go to get it back."

Richard fumed, his fists clenched on the table top. "Are you kidding me? Four hours past opening- fine. Where's your phone? I need to call a cab now."

The man pointed at a land line on the counter. "There you go. Knock yourself out."

Richard glared furiously before heading to the phone. He glanced out the window at the rest of the group, groaning internally. He was not looking forward to explaining why they'd be cramming into a cab for an hour to get to the city.

"Oh, before you make a call, I'll need three dollars."

Richard slammed the phone back on to the receiver. "You're absolutely insane! I'm not paying you to call a cab so I can take care of the problem you created!"

"I guess you're not calling a cab at all then."

Richard's patience had run completely dry. He was tired, he was sore, and he was starving. He couldn't take care of any of that until he'd called a cab, and he wasn't about to pay him to do that. Money wasn't the issue. It was the principle of the matter that kept him from handing it over. Without a word, he turned on his heel and left the building, leaving the door wide open behind him.

Jerome was the first to see him walk out. "So where's the car?"

Richard scowled back through the window as the man inside got up to close the door. We're 28 hours late. He had it towed."

"What?!"

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Guys," Monica said, "Let's just go get it. It's not that big of a deal."

"It's not his car," River pinched the bridge of her nose, "he just rented it. it was probably sent back, so we're stuck here."

"Are you serious?" Jerome's eyebrows shot up, "Are you telling me we have to take a cab as close to camp as we can get, and then walk the rest of he way?"

"Nope." Richard huffed, "he wants me to pay three dollars to use his bloody phone. There's no way in Hades I'm paying that!"

Groans from everyone except Camille sounded.

"Rich, it's three dollars! Pay the freaking man!"

"No! I already gave him a couple hundred dollars to watch the car!"

"And he didn't even do that right," Camille agreed, "Why encourage his cheating business?"

"But what's three more dollars?" Monica asked in exasperation.

"No, no" Jerome spoke up again, "I get it now. Why don't you get the money back?"

Richard rounded on Jerome. "You go in there and reason with him! He's being completely unprofessional!"