3

Bucky let me ride on the back of the tank on the way back.

I rested my head on one of the injured men's leg as Bucky walked beside us, scratching behind my ear. Steve led us all the way back to camp.

When we got there, men were cheering loudly. The boss was standing outside of his tent in shock as people helped down the injured and patted others on the back.

"Let's hear it for Captain America!" Bucky yelled as he helped me down.

Everyone cheered again, clapping Steve on the shoulder.

I gave a small howl for my own cheer; it hurt, but it was worth it. I wagged my tail and looked at Bucky who scratched behind my ear again before walking off to a medic tent to get me fixed up.

Steve noticed, but stayed to bask in the attention.
.
.
.
They called us the Howling Commandos.

Steve gathered a group of the prisoners from the base and Bucky and I and we all became part of this group.

Steve, as it turned out, was a good leader. To put it shortly, we kicked ass.

I had to sit out for a few missions because of the location, but they always came back safe and sound.

Which is why I was confused when they came back from a mission I wasn't allowed to go on without Bucky...

I ran up to the group with my tail wagging, sniffing and searching for the group to find him.

Steve was crying.

I darted up to him and he crouched. I licked his face and whimpered at him.

Where was Bucky? He wouldn't let Steve cry like this...

Steve dug his fingers into my fur and let out a sob.

"Bucky's gone," he kept repeating in my ear.

That couldn't be right... I tilted my head when he pulled away.

"He's in heaven now Cap," Dum Dum said putting a comforting hand on Steve's shoulder.

I laid beside Bucky's cot that night and watched Steve stare at it.

He didn't sleep that night either...
.
.
.
They didn't let me go on another mission, time-skip to almost a week later was when the others got another mission.

Steve had scratched behind my ear and promised he would be back. He lied.

The Commandos didn't take it well, I was left with someone called Howard.

I didn't like him, he always smelled like the drinks Steve drank after Bucky disappeared. And he never was around.

So one day, when he left me outside to go to the bathroom, I jumped the fence.

I wormed my way out of the collar he'd forced on me and walked away. I didn't look back.