Chapter 7: A Reprise of History

Erik's POV
I shivered as we headed for the outside world once again, but not just because of the cold. I had remembered how these people, my former neighbors, had all threatened to kill us if we didn't make ourselves scarce. Death threats, insulting letters, I was even almost beaten to death by a troop of young teenage boys after I had followed my beloved dog, Sasha, outside when I was three years old. I survived, but Sasha died trying to protect me. My mother was horrified, but only because she could have been on the receiving end of the spectrum.

I gave another shudder of dread, my thoughts focusing on my family. If that could happen to me, then what was to stop them from doing the same to my wife? My children? 

The town square was definitely busy, with the townsfolks either scurrying about to set up stalls for games or decorating the square with beautiful ribbons and such. As we wandered aimlessly around the town, Evangeline held my gaze, her eyes shining in the light of the radiant sun.

"You're awfully quiet, Erik," She stated as she moved closer to me, "You sure that you're okay? We can go back to the house if you don't feel comfortable."

I placed my hand in her's as my mother led us further away from her house and around other citizens until we finally stopped. 

"Where did you take us?" I demanded as she backed away from the threshold of the building that was now in front of us.

"Well, you did express that you wanted to see what the abbey looked like on the inside. There is no service tonight so there would be no one to disturb you at all.  Why don't you all take a look while I gather some items  for supper?" 

I stood in silence for a second, surprised and slightly suspicious. I began to ask her why she was so anxious to leave us alone, but when I lifted my eyes to where she stood, she had disappeared. 

"Babe? Want to go inside?" Evangeline asked as she held onto my arm.

I gave a small shrug as I opened the door, holding it open for my wife and children before going in.

It was less grand than I thought it would be, but I loved it none the less. It was beautiful with its white, marble columns that seemed to gleam from the sunlight that collected from the windows, its altar with its colors of red and gold, and there, right next to the pulpit was the organ that Father Massant had told me about when he was still alive. At that moment, I felt the unquenchable urge to play on it. To hear the notes echo throughout the abbey as my wife's angelic voice soared towards the heavens. 

"Madame Destler, may you sing for me?" I joked as I lead her and the children to the front of the sanctuary. 

"Only if you sing with me, Mastero." She teased as she made her way towards the organ, our twins taking a seat in the front pew. 

With a slight nod in Evangeline's direction, I started to play a small duet that had manifested in my mind just a few seconds prior. 

(Erik)

Do Re Mi Fa Sol, Fa Re, Fa Mi

Do Re Mi Fa Sol, Fa Re, Mi Do
Now you.

(Evangeline)
Do Re Mi Fa Sol, Fa Re, Fa Mi
Do Re Mi Fa Sol, Fa Re, Mi Do

Move the Do
Do Re Mi Fa Sol, Fa Re, Fa Mi
Do Re Mi Fa Sol, Fa Re, Mi Do

Do Re Mi Fa Sol, Fa Re, Fa Mi
Do Re Mi Fa Sol...

Fa Re, Mi Do

Oh, you are music
Beautiful music
And you are light to me