Chapter 23: Final Redemption

Erik's POV

I dragged my aching body towards where my mother lied, Evangeline getting up to help me limp over to her and kneel down beside her before supporting my mother's body on her lap. My children came rushing towards me, toppling me over again as they began to cry.

"Is everyone alright?" I asked, worry encompasing my mind.

Evangeline said nothing as the twins sat me back up as she moved my mother's hand from her side, a somber expression on her face. I turned to look at her side, my breath stilling for a moment.

Blood. Blood covered the side of her dress and on the palm of her hand.

"Mother! Hang on, I'll get something to bandage that up immediately." I stated, struggling to get up. I was almost to my feet when my mother's bloody hand stopped me.

"No. It's a bit too late for that, I'm afraid."

"Nonsense! We could patch that up and you'll be just fine."

My mother just shook her head.

"I am an old woman, Erik. I have lost a lot of blood and even if you did fix it, I wouldn't make a full recovery."

I sat still, her words stinging my heart. I didn't want to admit it, but she was right. She wouldn't live to see the morning. Even now, she was fading before my eyes.

"Now Erik, I need you to know something. I am leaving the house to you. You may do with it and whatever is inside however you feel fit. It is yours by right. Your father, before he died, left it to you and you alone."

I nodded, unable to speak. As she took a few feeble breaths, she continued.

"I wish I would of taken the opportunity to be a good mother to you when you were born. I wish I didn't waste my last moments with you trying to fix a problem I caused. I should have never harmed you or your family from the beginning. I'm sorry that I wasn't the mother that you deserved, Erik. I... I love you and I am so proud of you." She said, tears or regret and pain falling from her eyes.

I looked through my own tears, grasping her hand.

"I love you too, mother. And I forgive you."

She gave a tearful smile and had me bend my face closer to where she could reach it. Before I could think of what was to happen next, she gave me exactly two kisses. One on my cheek and another on my forehead.

"You once asked me to give you two kisses on your fourth birthday. One for now and one for later. And like a monster I denied you a shred of affection. But now, almost fourty years late, I give them to you." She spoke, the turned to my wife.

"Miss Evangeline, thank you for showing him all of the love he was ever denied. You are the best wife for him and the best mother for your children. You truly are a better woman than I ever was."

"You're welcome, Miss Madeleine." Evangeline replied, comforting the children along with keeping her upright.

Mother's breath grew shallower and shallower and she began to feel cooler to the touch.

" I have one more thing to ask of you." She said, looking at us.

"What is it?"

"There is no way I will be getting to heaven, especially now. But if you would, please stay here until I go? Hellbound though I am, I wish to have one last bit of comfort before I'm judged."

I sat up, taking both of her hands in mine as Evangeline spoke.

"We'll do you one better. All you have to do is accept Jesus again. We'll help you through it, if that's what you wish."

My mother's eyes lightned once more.

"I would like that very much. But will He accept me back. Especially this late?"

I gave a sad chuckle.

"If He was able to save me from spending an eternity in hell just mere seconds away from me taking my last breath, He will accept you before yours." I responded, remembering what had happened to me.

My mother gave a weak chuckle in responce as we sat and prayed with her. By the time the sun rose behind us, my mother was gone, a peaceful smile left on her face. I looked down at a nearby puddle of water and noticed something that made my heart swell as I broke down in sobs.

I had nothing covering my face.

The last face she saw and said that she loved was my unmaked, bare face. It was the first and now last time she had ever said that she loved me and was proud of me and she looked at my real face while saying it!

Evangeline and the children moved towards me, hugging me as I gasped and shuddered, tears burning my eyes.

"She saw my face, Angel. She said she loved me. She even gave me those two kisses that I asked for! She was never able to do that before!"

There was silence for a few moments until I heard the sound of multiple people headed towards us. Looking up, I was surrounded by the newly liberated freaks and the Gypsies who helped us. All of them stared at me, looks of gratitude and happiness on their faces as well as a worried murmur within the crowd.  Suddenly, the hunchback I had spoken days before timidly came forward.

"Pardon me, monsieur, but I would like to say thank you for freeing us from Javert. You have no idea how grateful we are. How grateful I am. But I and everyone se want to know what are we to do now?"

I said nothing, thinking of a solution. These people either had no family to go to or had just betrayed the family they had to help us. Although I could make them homes in Paris, a lot of them wouldn't be able to provide for themselves. Some were illiterate and people who were deformed like me would find it very difficult to find honest work inside the city. Suddenly, I had an idea.

"My family and I live underneath the Opera Garnier, which I just so happen to own. There is a lake that runs inside the catacombs where we live and it stretches for miles on end to a small cave outside the city lines. If you so desire, I could create an entire city underground for you all to live in."

A quiet whisper once again echoed throughout the crowd until an old Gypsy woman spoke up.

"We will be eternally grateful."

I got up, Evangeline sticking to my side like plaster as I placed my hand into her's.

"Evangeline, my love, I believe we're getting new neighbors." I replied.

Everyone began to cheer and when most of the excitment died down a bit, they began to take the abandoned horses and wagons, taking everything from the now-empty campsite from tools to extra food. 

Meanwhile, I searched the camp for wood to make a casket for my departed mother. I couldn't leave her body to the birds or the wild beasts. That's where I saw it.

A red oak-wood coffin with a simple, yet intricate cross design etched on the lid ( A/N: Picture is above) sat in the far parts of the camp. It looked very new, as if someone had just finished building it for someone who had just died. A million questions ran through my mind at this.

Who was this coffin intended for? Who made it? Why is it here?

Finally, I decided to not question it. Instead, I called to some of the other men to help me grab it for my mother so that we could give her a proper burial.

With everything in place and my mother's body in the casket, we made our way back to the small city, a sense of freedom and closure silently taking over our party.

A/N: Hello my fellow Phantom Phans!

How're you guys doing?

Thank you guys so much for the 26.3k views.and the 1.82k votes. You guys are awesome! 😁

Well, it seems that our story is almost at a close, my friends. Madeleine is gone and our favorite family now has gained new friends.

How will this story end?

Vote, Comment, and Share and I'll see you guys next time!

M'kay, bye! 🌹