Chapter One

chapter one

// Dedicated to @neon_lavotic because she made my current cover //

______________

Her face was filled with tears as she looked at me with hopeful eyes. I'd never seen her so determined before. Her black hair was worn in a messy bun and her nursing scrubs hadn't been taken off from work; I could tell she wasn't in a mood to be messed with.

Her hands cradled my face as she silently sobbed. "Jesse, I'm not asking you to understand," she sighed, "I just need you to do this for me."

"Mom," I said with a tear running down my face, "you know I can't leave you and Zoe!"

"I know, I know," she said rubbing my tear away and giving me a heart breaking smile, "and I'm not asking you to. All I want is for you to audition. No commitments yet."

"What's the point if I wont go through with it anyway?"

"Jesse," she laughed humorlessly, "I need you to do something for yourself for once, or I won't be able to live with myself. What kind of mother would I be if I let you help me instead of yourself. Be selfish just this once!"

I stared at her blankly. How could she ask me to do this? To leave her and Zoe? I had worked my whole life at making sure we didn't end up in poverty, and I wasn't about to quit my job and run away with my unrealistic dream of being a musician.

"I can't do it," I sighed, "I could never."

She shook my shoulders aggressively before looking me right in the eye, "Jesse, you're going to audition today, and you are going to like it! I don't think you understand that if you don't do this, than I won't be able to deal with it. All that talent just down the drain? I don't think so! You're going to live your dream if it kills me! It's what you deserve!"

I couldn't deny the fact that it sounded nice. I couldn't imagine how great it would be if I got the opportunity to live my dreams as a reality. But even if I got passed the first round, I would get sent off soon enough, and it just wouldn't be worth even missing a day of helping my family.

"Mom!" I whined!

She gave me a small smile, "Don't be so stubborn! Please, for me?"

"What about Zoe?"