Chapter 2

chapter two

// Song is Fix You by Coldplay - on the side //

___________

There was something about the way Melody carried herself that made it impossible to pay attention to anything else. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it, but she she seemed to have misplaced authority; but that didn't make sense at all, because she wasn't anything like uptight.

Actually, being around her put me at ease. Her smile was just so big that it made the world seem a bit smaller. Being around her was easy, and I didn't feel any pressure to be somebody I wasn't.

And let's get something straight, that was kind of rare for me. I mean, when it came to girls, I was hopeless. Even being around one, much less being around one as beautiful as Melody. caused me to trip over my words and make a fool of myself. But it wasn't like that with her.

But nonetheless, I wasn't quite trusting her to drag me from my line.

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa. What are you doing?" I asked, baffled over the girl standing in front of me.

She wasn't the type of girl I would be seen with. To be fair, I wouldn't really be seen with any girl, but Melody was clearly out of my league.

In other words, she looked like she just walked out of a magazine, and I looked like I just got home from school.

She looked at me confused. But in my eyes she really didn't have the right to be confused, considering the fact that she was the one who wasn't making sense. "Um, I'm taking you away from the line, and over here with the cool people."

"First of all, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be in that line. And second of all, I don't really know what your definition of cool is, " I stated, trying to turn around.

She held my shoulders in place and smiled up at me. "Alright I'll be honest," She started, "There are no cool people over there, but there will be as soon as we get there!"

"I don't think this is a good idea... what about the,"

"If you're worried about the line, than don't. There isn't even supposed to be line there. Some stupid people just started lining up because they didn't know what to do, but if you look, the line isn't even going anywhere."

By now I was even more confused, because as much as I wanted an excuse to get back in that line, I knew she was right. The line made no sense. They were calling names of contestants through the intercom, so the line wasn't even needed.

"Either way," I started, taking her hands off me, "There's no reason why I should go over there and be a cool person with you."

She laughed and looked up at me with a spark in her eye, "Why not? I'm a fairly nice person."

I couldn't deny that I wanted to hang out with her. The girl was so damn intriguing. I wanted to know more about her, and I defiantly wanted to go be cool person with her. But, the thought was crazy.

I looked for the right way to say no, because even though she seemed nice, I couldn't just walk around with some stranger. "I have to decide what song to preform," I smiled, proud of my answer.

She smirked, and I automatically knew that I didn't actually have a choice in the matter. "Then I'll help you!"

Suddenly I was once again being yanked the other direction, but this time I didn't have the energy to fight it. It would be nice to have some help anyway.

"Um, so where is over there exactly?" I asked.

She didn't answer me until we walked a bit away from everyone. The line was still in clear sight, but we couldn't here everyone's chatter, "Right here," she smiled proudly.

I gave her a look, "this is it?"

She laughed, "Yes, yes it is." She sat down crossing her legs, "Now I need you to sing me a song."

"One that I wrote?"

"NO! I need to hear you before I judge what your bet song is. Just cover something for now."

I sat down, feeling slightly uncomfortable. I never actually preformed for anyone but my mother and sister. Who knew if I was any good? Crossing my legs I began strumming a familiar tune on my guitar before singing.

"When you try your best but you don't succeed. When you get what you want but not what you need. When you feel so tired but you can't sleep. Stuck in reverse.

"And the tears come streaming down your face. When you lose something you cant replace. When you love someone but it goes to waste. Could it be worse?

"Lights will guide you home. And ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you."

I continued strumming the song, feeling extremely venerable. The song just reminded me of my family. It was kind of like our anthem, and all it was doing was reminding me how much I didn't want to leave them.

"And high up above of down below. When you're too in love to let it go. But if you never try then you'll never know, just what you're worth

"Lights will guide you home. And ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you.

"Tears stream down your face. When you lose something you can't replace. Tears stream down your face. And I... Tears stream down your face. I promise you I will learn from my mistakes. Tears stream down your face. And I...

"Lights will guide you home. And ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you."

I looked up to see a gobsmacked Melody.