Chapter 4 ~ Dancing Death Eaters

Chapter 4

Hermione's POV

               A full year had gone by. And it felt like much longer. That whole summer when I had been away from Draco had been very near torture. We had still sent letters to each other whenever possible. But letters are nothing compared to truly seeing him and talking to him.

               Harry and Ron were relatively clueless. There were some days when Harry would cast curious glances at me every now and then. But he never said anything to me when I returned his glance. And Ron never seemed to notice anything.

               Draco was still very worried about his parents finding out about us though. He said he was sure neither of them had found out about our letters, but he was still on edge. I knew he was terrified of what would happen to me if they found out. But I was more worried about what could happen to him. Since his family worked for Voldemort, they would not be the type to show mercy.

               Luckily, Pansy had finally decided to leave Draco alone. We were both relieved by that. I had wanted to slap her so badly when I saw her kiss him. But I knew that would only cause trouble for both of us. So I just chose to glare at her fiercely every time she was near me.

               That year at Hogwarts had been very difficult. The Tri-Wizard Tournament was being held at the school. And Harry ended up being the exception to the rules. His name was pulled from the goblet of fire even though he wasn't old enough and swore he hadn't entered. But I was always trying to help him the best that I could. The only bad part about that was that I hardly ever saw Draco because I was so busy.

               "The Yule Ball is tomorrow night," I whispered to Draco on one of the very few nights that I managed to sneak out and see him.

               He nodded slowly, resting his forehead against mine and looking me in the eyes. "What are you wearing?" he asked quietly.

               I smiled slightly and kissed his cheek. "You'll just have to wait and see."

               Draco pouted slightly, and I couldn't help but giggle. I pressed my lips to his gently and pulled him closer.

               "Wear something nice, please," I said quietly. "And remember, you promised me one dance."

               "We'll just have to dance somewhere private so we won't be seen," he reminded me softly, his pale lips forming a small smile.

               I smiled back at him sweetly and kissed him again quickly. "It's getting late. We should get to bed before Filch catches us out after curfew."

               Draco wouldn't let me go until he had kissed me again passionately. Then he turned and walked down the hall quickly, his robes fluttering behind him. I didn't turn away before he was out of sight. Then I hurried back to my dorm as well.

               My dreams were very strange that night. At first, I just saw Draco and me dancing and having a good time. Then there were Death Eaters there too. But they were dancing as well, not attacking us. They still made me nervous. And I didn't enjoy my dance with Draco as much as I should have because of them watching us the whole time. When I finally woke up, I was more confused than anything else.

               The whole school was buzzing with excitement that morning since it was Saturday and the Yule Ball would be taking place that night. I knew most of the girls were going to be spending the whole day dolling themselves up. I'd only be spending about an hour to get ready. Just putting on my dress and doing my hair. No Barbie Doll make-up for me.