Chapter 7: Sleep

After what had happened in the herbalist's home, both of us were told to go home earlier than what was asked, and with a small bag of medicine that the doctor had made for me to drink. It was a very... special experience for me.

Now here I was, lying against a group of children in order to rest, thinking about if that those kind of events were the norm for the doctor that lived up the mountain. If it was, well, I would have to get used to it if I was to start working there.

"Orphan, it's time for you to drink your medicine." Said Second, who was holding a chipped cup of tea. He had taken the bag and brewed them with water just as instructed.

"Ah, thank you." I brought the cup to my lips and gulped down the bitter medicine. I guess that no matter reality or dream, medicine still tasted horrible.

My fever was no longer as strong as it was, and it had only lasted for a day. I should be thankful, really. At least it didn't go on for a week. With this I would be able to return to work faster.

My eyes were starting to get droopy, I was feeling sleepy. With a sigh, I placed my hands over my stomach and closed my eyes.

"You're not going to fall asleep, are you?" asked White, who was holding my arm.

"Well, yes, I am. Why?" I blinked multiple times to keep myself awake.

"When you go to sleep it's like you're not here anymore. You never wake up when we try." Said the little boy, tilting his head and pretending to snore to prove his point.

"She's just a heavy sleeper, White." Said Second, who was comfortable in his position behind Orphan.

Afterwards, I had fallen slowly into slumber. I didn't really know what they were saying, but the last thing I knew before falling asleep was that the two of them continuing their conversation. I was really sleepy. I couldn't help it.

As my eyes opened, I appeared in a room of white. The hospital room. I looked around and looked down at my hands which were clasped together, cold. Looking outside the window, it had stopped snowing, but the weather was grey, not a single patch of blue sky to be seen. The clouds blocked the sky with a beautiful and calming mixture of white and grey.

It was my favorite type of weather.

While I was admiring the sky, the doctor came in with a nurse in tow, he raised his brow at the sight of me standing right next to the window when I should've been resting on the bed.

"I see you're doing well." He said as he handed his papers to the nurse beside him.

"Yes, I am." I said with a small smile to be polite.

"Well, then, I guess there's no more need for you to stay inside this cramped room." Said the doctor with an amused smile. "Just take this," he gestured for the nurse to hand her a small box, "This is the medicine I think would be able to fix you up."

I received the box and observed its contents, and the smiled towards the nurse. "Thank you." I said.

"Well, go outside and get yourself registered to get out."

With the medicine in my hands, I walked out of the room and signed the necessary papers on the Hospital's front desk. It was a nice feeling to be out.

Yes, I was still coughing from time to time, but at least I no longer had a fever to worry about. All that was there for me to do was go back to work.

"No." said David, his face stern.

"W-what do you mean, no, sir?" I stuttered as I tried to keep my composure in front of his desk.