T w o

"Sorry, someone already got the job."

I blinked numerous times, my mind threatening to go blank. I looked at the digital clock on the wall and noted that I was half an hour late, understandable, since I had only 4 hours of sleep and was suffering from jet-lag. The receptionist kept chewing on her gum while tapping on the keyboard, looking bored out of her mind.

I was still very confused.

"I'm sorry but... what?"

Maybe I heard it wrong.

She rolled her eyes and looked at me for the first time, "As I said, someone already got the job."

"But I was just 30 minutes late..." I tried to sound reasonable, "I know it's rude and unprofessional but today is my first day in Domino city and--"

"Give me your resume." She suddenly said. I bit my lip and pulled out the folder from my bag; she skimmed through it and I noticed the tiniest hint of a smirk on her lips.

"Mm, yeah you're definitely not from around. Sorry, but time's money here. If you don't want someone to take the vacant seat, you gotta come by sooner." She muttered and gave the resume back, "also, even if you did come on time, I doubt they would have given you the job."

"Excuse me? Why?" Last time I checked, people had told me that I was sure to get a job as a secretary.

"In case you haven't noticed, technology is actually advanced here. Your knowledge in computer programming is out-dated, and you never worked as a secretary before. We're looking for people with experience."

"How can I even gain experience if you don't give me a chance?" I said. This was crazy and unreasonable.

"Hey don't ask me, I'm just a receptionist." She shrugged, I opened my mouth ready to retort with something until a man wearing a business suit approached the counter. The lady immediately swallowed her chewing gum, straightened herself and gave the businessman an award-winning smile.

"Good morning sir, how may I help you?"

I was speechless.

XxX

After that scarring experience, I decided to try my luck with other, smaller companies.

But the results were the same.

"Sorry but you don't have the necessary experience required to..."

"Your knowledge in computer programming isn't up to date..."

"... we could have accepted you, but seems like you lack experience in communication."

What the hell, what do they even mean by 'experience in communication'? Did I have the words anti-social written on my forehead?

It was incredible how they easily made my self-esteem shatter to pieces in a matter of seconds.

I was willing to give up, there was just one company left and it was the scariest of them all. It towered the rest of the buildings and had two giant dragon statues at the entrance.

Yeah (y/n) these people will definitely hire you. Good job, you won't get humiliated at all.

I took out my phone and read the wiki page for this company. I didn't want to stroll in like an idiot without knowing what's awaiting for me.

Let's see.. Kaiba Corp, a company specializing in the entertainment and gaming industry. It centers around the... duel monsters game? Huh.

I liked games, everyone loves games; they're fun and stress-relieving. Working for such a company seemed ideal to me, but then again; getting accepted was doubtful.

"Who am I kidding... " I sighed when I stared at my watch. "It's already this late, they wouldn't get an interview with me at such time. Better grab the bus and go back to the hotel."

I told myself that it would be fine, that I'll find a way somehow tomorrow. It was literally my first day in Domino city, I didn't want it to be the last.

As I walked further; I saw the bus already at the stop. Panic took over most of my senses and I dashed as fast I could to reach it on time. In my rush; I could faintly see the green light going orange, if I could just go a little faster..!

Suddenly, I heard a honk and felt something poke me on the hip. A limousine had nearly run me over!

"Aaaah!" I screamed and nearly fell. "What the-- what the hell?! Watch where you're going, asshole!"

I angrily kicked the limo with my new red heels and left a satisfyingly visible red mark. If the driver was lacking in reflexes, I'd be long dead by now. Seriously, no matter how much you look at it, they were in the wrong!

In my mindless state, I barely heard a voice angrily call in my direction as I kept running towards the bus. I didn't care to turn around and look for who it was, but I had a sinking feeling that it would be someone I'd meet again.

I was tired though, and wanted nothing more but to doze off on my seat.