T h r e e

"Okay miss (f/n) (l/n), you're gonna' start your first shift today! Aren't you excited??"

I looked at my ugly brown uniform, my long white stockings and messy hair. My reflection was absolutely disgusting, and I definitely didn't look excited at all.

After three days of lamenting myself, I decided to start slow and easy as a waitress, since everyone in this city saw my CV as being 'trash'. I could only hope it paid reasonably well, so I could pay rent, at the very least.

The young waitress behind me was named Janette. She was a cute, petite and cheerful red-head that seemed to adore her job. The manager had told her to show me the basics of the job and 'train' me, oddly enough. I didn't think there would be much to do since being a waitress always looked simple to me, but I may be wrong.

Because for starters; Janette had to teach me how to deal with customers, and boy was it awkward.

"Okay (y/n)! First of all you gotta' learn how to smile! Here, we have to smile always, non-stop! Customers like it when we're cheerful, it rubs off our positivity on them!"

I tried my hardest to smile cheerfully, but I suspected I resembled more like a deranged rapist.

Janette shrugged as she looked at me, "you'll get the hang of it later, next is..." she pulled my arm and pointed at the menu "this! The menu! You gotta' memorize it!"

"Okay..."

"The table numbers too! Very important!"

I looked at the fancy wooden tables, they blended in rather well with the café's cozy atmosphere. The walls were painted in a soft brown, one that already made me feel sleepy.

It was quite a nice café, to be frank, but I didn't really have the mood to admire it much further. I simply nodded at Janette's instructions while trying to think of various ways to flee from this situation.

"Next is... oh yeah, there's something important you should know." She spoke seriously for once. I raised an eyebrow at her.

"There's a very important person who comes here as our regular, that guy is the CEO of Kaiba Corp! Newcomers can't serve him, the manager strictly forbids us to! Only Karen can, since she is the one with the most experience."

I looked at her in disbelief, "well... why? I mean, what difference does it make? It's not like every waitress here comes with a different menu glued to her, right?"

Janette bit her lip, "I'm not sure either? But it's the manager who says so, we can't do anything about that."

"Well alright. Anything else I should know?" I asked her, I didn't particularly care about the Kaiba Corp CEO. I never even tried to apply as a secretary for that guy either, a huge company like theirs wouldn't accept me anyway.

So I let my new co-worker show me around and give me instructions before opening-time, and I found it strangely relaxing.

XxX

A few hours passed and I felt like things were going well.

The menu wasn't hard to memorize; in fact, it was small and simple. There were fancy pastries on display that took some getting used to, but I managed to get the hang of it after an hour or so.

My clumsy mistakes were easily forgiven by some generous customers. The tips were rewarding, and I already got a few extra bucks from 'smiling' and 'being positive'. It was a little weird but, I felt like people from Domino city were rather cold?

Or perhaps the townsfolk from back home were way too cheerful. I dunno'.

Suddenly, the door opened and a tall, teenager with brown hair and blue eyes made his way towards a table.