S e v e n

I stared at the roof mindlessly, waiting for something to happen.

This was the start of my second week as a waitress, and I already got bored of it. Nothing interesting happened so far, and the days passed by slowly.

Kaiba was still an ass to me, that wasn't new. Janette was still cheerful and supportive-- that wasn't new either.

Some creeps tried to grope me every now and then, but I developed the skills necessary to dodge their grabby hands. So far, that was the only surprising thing to happen, but it barely did the trick to humor me.

All in all, I was beginning to hate my new job here in Domino city, where people tend to stay cold and boring.

"(Y/n), why the long face?" Janette asked me as she mopped the floor. I blinked lazily at her, taking this opportunity to scrutinize her face further. She was mad cute, I could understand why so many customers wanted to be served by her.

"Is my face really that long?" I asked, self-aware. Janette furrowed her brows at me.

"I didn't mean it literally, silly! What I meant to ask is--"

"Yeah, I got ya. And nah, I'm fine."

The red-head puffed her cheeks and tapped me gently on the back. "You know you can tell me anything, right? I'm willing to hear about your problems. I'm your friend after all!"

I smiled at her. 'Friend', how sweet. It was kind of Janette to see me as a friend already, I didn't hate that easy-going personality of hers, it helped somewhat.

But she wouldn't understand. Actually, no one in this cafe would really understand. Janette loves her job and city, she can't be homesick... like myself. Living in the city turned out to be harder than I thought, and finding a job as a secretary felt even more like a dream.

I missed the farm, I missed my pets, my family.

I missed my freedom to be lazy.

"I think I'm homesick." I blurted out, Janette stared at me with a surprised look.

"You miss your old place?"

"Yes, yes I do."

She surprised me with a grin, "I relate to that."

I looked at her, surprised.

"You do?"

"Yep, I'm not exactly from here; y'know?"

Although I wad mildly curious about where this dicussion was heading; the door opened and a customer barged in, cutting it short. Five more minutes and we'll have to close to café.

"Sir, I'm sorry but we're closing." Janette said apologetically. The customer nodded quickly.

"Yes yes, I know. I just want a quick coffee for my night shift and I'll go, promise."

Understanding, the red-head went to take his order. I stared at the clock and decided to take out the trash before leaving.

The bags were large and purple with the scent of jasmines to prevent them from smelling badly. I grabbed them and headed towards the back door, dragging said bags with all of my might. There wasn't much else to do so I just took my time taking out the trash.

It was then that my cellphone rang.

Who could it be?

I looked at the screen and my eyes widened.

Its home.

My mind turned blank, my parents were calling me at the worst possible moment. I haven't talked to them since the day I moved in Domino City. They didn't know about my issues finding a job as a secretary, they probably thought i was already working for a big company with golden chandeleers and a marbled floor. If I told them about me being a waitress and struggling financially in this big city, they wouldn't let me stay.

I can't tell them the truth. I thought as I inhaled sharply and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Sweetie!" My mom practically shouted on the other line, "I've missed you so much, we haven't heard from you in a while, why haven't you called us? More importantly, how are you? Are you eating well? Sleeping well? Dressed well? Is someone bullying you? Are you ok--"

"Mom! Mom, I'm fine! Don't worry, I'm eating healthy and sleeping 8 hours a day, it's all good." I told her, trying to remain composed. She was such a worrywart, I should've called instead of letting her worry.

"Oh, oh good! I kept thinking about you. I miss you so much."

"I miss you too." I said softly.

"So how is it? Did my baby finally achieve her dream and became a secretary?"

I nearly choked on my own saliva. For some reason, i half-hoped she wouldn't ask me about that.

"I... of course, mom! Who do you think I am?" I laughed nervously. My mom clapped her hands happily.

"That's wonderful, (y/n)! I'm so happy for you! Let me tell your father right away--"

"No, you don't have to--"

"Honey! Honey I have great news! Our baby girl is a secretary!" My mom yelled and I cringed internally.

No, she isn't in front of me, I can cringe all i want.

"What? Is that true?!" I heard my father on the other line, albeit with slight difficulty, he must've been far from the phone. "Ask her which company!"

"Who you working for, sweetie?" My mom asked excitedly.

Oh god.

"I.. uh..."

Oh god oh god! What was I supposed to say? I'm a terrible liar, and an even more terrible daughter! I shouldn't have dug deep into such a mess, I shouldn't have been afraid of their reactions I--

"Kaiba corp."

I shouldn't have blurted out the first company that came to my mind!!