4. Heavy

A/N: A really short chapter from an author who really doesn't know where she's going with this story lol. Enjoy :)

.

.
.
Kaname had just sent Yuki back to Cross' house hours later when he suddenly realized his mate's aura was missing- indeed, it wasn't even within the Academy's perimeters.

He sighed, he would not be getting any sleep it would seem.

He glanced at his bed and sighed again before donning a jacket and shoes and leaving the Moon Dorms, tracking her aura a few miles away to a park- separate from the neighboring town that was closest to Cross Academy.

He slowed to a stop and picked up the familiar stench of hunters- no, one hunter.

Yagari's student that was posing as a substitute teacher.

When he found his mate she had her arms wrapped around the hunter who had apparently just discovered Kiryu's demise.

Amaya didn't tense but he knew she sensed his arrival.

She rubbed the hunters back, tucking his head against her chest like a mother would a child in need of comforting.

He wondered if they had any children then, his mind wandering and allowing the two time.

Slowly though, the hunter seemed to also pick up his presence.

He tensed but Amaya attempted to soothe him back.

"Don't worry- tis only my mate. I will not allow harm to come to you."

Kaname stepped out of the shadows and the hunter stood in a flash.

"Kuran is your mate?!"

He narrowed his eyes on Kaname and the pureblood spared no reaction to pacify him,

"Since when are you mated, Kuran?"

Amaya stood, her plum dress swinging in the breeze- noon sunlight glinting off her silver tresses.

"We have been mated for some time, Kaito-kun." Amaya sighed and Kaname's eyes narrowed as Kaito's attention was drawn back to the silver haired pureblood.

After a moment he relaxed- he should have sensed it earlier.

Amaya had been jealous of Yuki, and he had only angered her when he sent her away.

He had forgotten how possessive mated females were- he had seen Juri nearly skewer Haruka on several occasions when he joked with other females.

Though Kaname had not thought a pureblood vampiress would be jealous of a human- unless Amaya suspected Yuki was not just a human.

He needed to know what she knew- and how she knew it.

He needed to know it now.

"Amaya..." He breathed and his mate glanced at him with mischievous violet eyes.

"Call upon me anytime, Kaito-kun!"

Amaya flitted to Kaname's side in a blur, barely glancing at him before she took off back to the Academy.

Her eyes had been bright with irritation and he sighed as he followed behind her, leaving the hunter to his own devices.

When they returned to the Academy grounds he cornered her against a tree out of sight of nosy humans.

"Amaya..." He growled under his breath and she frowned.

"Who is Yuki to you, Kaname?"

Her words caught him off guard but he didn't release her.

He had to tell her or else he saw a bad future for them ahead- but could he trust her? He didn't know her- at least not anymore- and there was no way of knowing how she would react...

A flash of memory- blood spraying the air as Amaya ripped off the arm of a Noble female who got too close to him.

No- he couldn't tell her.

Not to mention the fact that he still had to decipher his own emotions on the matter- he had promised Yuki he would marry her after all- he had promised they would be like Haruka and Juri.

But that had certainly been rendered moot by Amaya's appearance- mating bonds could not be replaced, even after one of the spouse's demise.

But then how had he not felt it before Kiryu's death?

How had he forgotten his mate- his only mate?

He recalled producing children with other pureblooded females- that was how his line had been sired after all- but he would never have done so had he known about his mate.

Or had he done so despite it?

He had been ruthless in the past- a demon on a battlefield, a King in all senses of the word- but he had only discovered that reputation in the years since he was awakened- after most of his memories had been wiped clean.

Amaya had not asked how it was he was here- she had barely asked him anything at all- could he deny her the answer she awaited now?

When he didn't answer she sighed and glanced away and he thought he saw her eyes glisten with unshed tears.

No- that's wrong. She's- she's not supposed to- He can't do this to her.

His instincts demanded he make it up to her, but he knew when she ducked under his arm and made for the Moon Dorms that he couldn't make it up to her with sex or gifts, he certainly couldn't make it up to her with anything other than the truth she desired.

But he wasn't ready to answer her questions- his heart ached with emotion that would never grace his face- conscious love for Yuki and instinctual love for the woman he was mated to.

Kaname felt the branch he gripped crack beneath his palm and he released it, blowing out a breath before following after her.

There were too many unknown variables- and he still had to figure out why Kiryu had been attacked and who had sent those shadowy beasts.

For the rest of the day he would rest, but he would begin as soon as the sun set beneath the horizon.

He would not fail.
.
.
.
A/N: As always, leave questions in the comments and I'll reply as soon as I receive them! Please PLEASE FOLLOW and (!) COMMENT (!). My question for ya'll this chapter- what major conflicts do you want me to keep from the anime canon? I'm really up in the air so any suggestions are welcome! Thanks for reading! :)