5. Runaway

A/N: Alright, so here is the fifth chapter of Missing- a long time coming, I know. I already have the next chapter outlined and I plan on outlining a few more chapters ahead at least when I have free time, so I have enough of an idea as to what to write to be able to pump out more chapters for all ya'll. I'm writing this A/N on the night I'm writing it- tuesday night, or well, wednesday morning technically lol- but this will be posted on Thursday- and hopefully Missing will be updated every Thursday from here on out! :) Thank ya'll so much for replying to this story- you have no idea how happy it makes me that my writing attracts people that actually bother to read it. Enjoy :)

He was lying on the couch in his office as he turned over the tattered remains of his plans in his distant mind- it seemed all he could focus on now was the irritated bond that tied him to his mate who hadn't spoken a word to him in three days- as if her anger with him was only growing instead of dying off like surely a lesser being's would.

He both admired and despised her for it- he could not recall her being so patient in the past- it was as if his most admirable quality had worn off on her, but only when she was put out with him.

It was quite astonishing how she managed to ignore him even as he slept beside her- the bond would not allow them to have separate rooms they had learned.

Suffice to say, he had been the one to beg her to come back to his bedroom because she seemed more bull-headed than even Kiryu was, even to her own detriment as he saw plainly written on her palid face how the bond weighed on her as well.

It had been a week since they had met- basically a week since he fucked up within the same twenty-four hour period of meeting her.

Yeah, he was getting off to a great start.

He teased ways he might ease her down in his mind, but to be frank, he could not recall enough about the past to know how to appropriately accomplish such a feat.

He couldn't even blame her for her anger- he was in effect lying to her, his mate, he was lying to her by omission- her of all people.

He sighed and felt Seiren outside his door. He sat up, downing the rest of his drink before standing and walking over to his desk to sit and hear her report.

He had sent her out the day after Amaya's arrival to search for who had been the cause of the attack on the school, and to see why they had done so.

Why they had disregarded him as a threat, but cared enough to slay Kiryu of all creatures.

Seiren entered at his behest and bowed neatly before beginning- her voice even and unfeeling as she recounted her search for answers.

She laid out how she had discovered a nomadic pureblood of all things taking up house some fifty miles north a few months prior- and that he had apparently been gathering forces of unknown number there for some time even before his arrival.

All level-C or lower, though Seiren passed him a file containing the names of a dozen Nobles who were apparently supporting him behind closed doors.

"What is this pureblood's name?"

"Rumor has it he is only known as 'Shame'." Seiren recounted and he nodded.

"You believe he is the one responsible?"

She nodded, "I have it on good accounts from anonymous sources."

He sighed, "Do some more digging into his background and his potential reasons for attacking the Academy or Kiryu."

She nodded and left with another bow, "Hai, Kaname-sama."

He leaned back in his seat after scanning the file.