Chapter 11: The Miracle

Han continued to embrace Jon, when he felt something hot and wet on his shoulder. They were tears. Jon's tears. His son was crying.

"I don't mean to cry," Jon said with a sniffle. "And I'm sorry. But you scared me, Daddy! You scared all of us!"

Daddy? Han asked himself. How long has it been since he's called me that?

"It's all right, Jon," Han comforted aloud. "It's ok. Daddy's here. Daddy's ok. Daddy loves you. Daddy loves you."

"I love you, too," Jon murmured, his face still buried in his father's shoulder.

"Jon, look at me," said Han. "Please." Jon lifted his head to look at Han, wiping the tears from his eyes. "I'm sorry for scaring you."

"I know, Dad," said Jon. "You went away for a while. But now you're back! Do you remember anything?"

"After you, Chewie and Leia left, and I had eaten dinner, I settled down to sleep," Han began. "I think I had a nightmare. And then I felt like I couldn't breathe."

"You had an allergic reaction to the sedative a med-droid gave you to calm you down from your nightmare," Jon explained. "And you did stop breathing. Doctor Edoc did manage to get you breathing again by the time me, Mom, Chewie and Lando got here. But then...y-your heart stopped." Han's brow furrowed, like he was deep in thought.

"You're trying to tell me that I died, right, Jon?" asked Han. Jon nodded silently before looking down at the floor. He couldn't help reliving the scariest moment of his life. It had been even worse than when Han and Luke were caught in that blizzard on Hoth, and everything that had happened on Bespin, combined. Because last night, his father had quite literally died right in front of him. But now, Han was alive. And Jon was both very happy, and surprised.

"Did-did you go to the afterlife, Dad?" asked Jon. "Or have an out-of-body experience? That sort of thing?"

"Yeah, I guess I did," said Han.

"Really? asked Jon. He hadn't expected his father to say that. "Well, what was it like? Did you finally meet Grandma and Grandpa Solo? Because I've heard of people going through that. And if so, what are my grandparents' real names, anyway? It's something I've wondered about for fourteen years."

"No, Jon, I didn't meet my mom and dad," said Han. "Believe it or not, I actually met your mother. Well, your birth mother, I mean."

"Crescentia Montressor," Jon finished. "What was she like? You actually talked to her? Does she even remember who I am?"

"Jonathan Jacen Solo, Crescentia gave birth to you," said Han. "Of course she remembers who you are. We mostly just talked about you. Because she's been watching over you ever since I met you. And she's very proud of you."

"Good to know," Jon said warily. "But what does Crescentia think of Leia? Is she jealous of her?"