Chapter 16: Ewok Ambush and the Golden God

Back in the clearing, Han and Chewie both sat leaning their backs against a tree. Upon regrouping with the others, Han had been bombarded with questions. Most of these had to do with the whereabouts of Jon, Luke and Leia. Han relayed the story of accidentally alerting the Scout Troopers, the resulting skirmish as how Jon, Luke and Leia had all taken off on a speeder bike in pursuit of more Scout Troopers.

Kes Dameron had told Han not to worry. Jon, Luke and Leia were sure to be fine. Han wanted to believe him, but he still worried. If something were to happen to any of those three-the boy who was his son, the man who was one of his best friends, and the woman who was the love of his life-Han would never be able to forgive himself. Han slumped forward with a sigh, resting his chin in his hand. R2-D2 whistles and beeped from behind him.

"Oh, General Solo, two people are coming!" 3-PO announced. That spurred Han into action. Brandishing his blaster, he stood, spun around and crouched behind the tree. Other members of the strike team did the same.

"Oh!" 3-PO gasped. Luke and Jon came rushing into the clearing at that moment.

"Luke!" Han called, running out to meet him. And that's when he also noticed Jon. "Oh, hello, son."

"Hi, Dad," Jon mumbled.

"What happened to you?" asked Han. "Where did all these bruises come from? And is anything broken?"

"I jumped from a speeder bike," said Jon. "But I didn't break any bones, honest."

"Oh, Gods, Jon!" Han hollered. "What made you jump from a speeder bike?! And why did you even go with Luke and Leia in the first place?! Was it so you could prove how brave you were?! Because being brave doesn't mean you looking for trouble. Besides, what difference would have made if you'd died?!"

"Why are you mad at just me, and not Luke as well?" asked Jon. "And I'm ok, Dad. Trust me."

"I'm not mad at you, Jon," said Han.

"Well, you're sure acting that way!" Jon countered.

"Hey, I'm just glad you're ok," said Han. "Because I was worried about all of you. Now, come here, Jon." He hugged his son.

Luke felt very strange. He could remember having many similar conversations with his Uncle Owen while growing up back on Tattooine. And once again, he wondered what Vader-or perhaps as Luke should now start thinking of him as-Anakin Skywalker, would have been like as a father. Han wasn't perfect, but he worked really hard to raise Jon the right way, much like Owen and Beru had done for Luke himself.  Han stopped hugging Jon, looking over his and Luke's shoulders.

"Where's Leia?" he asked.

"What, she didn't come back?" Luke asked, looking behind him.

"Yeah, I really hoped she'd be here by now," said Jon.