Chapter Eleven

"I'LL PICK YOU UP tomorrow at five, okay?" said Colton.

I nodded. "Sounds good."

We kissed once more before I hopped out of his truck and made my way to the cabin. Colton waited for me to get in before pulling out of my driveway and heading home.

I opened my door, but something caught my eye. I bent down and picked up a folded piece of paper. My heart stopped as I read the message it contained: "YOU'RE SLEEPING WITH A KILLER, YOU SLUT!"

I gasped and dropped the piece of paper. My fingers trembled as pulled out my phone. Luckily, Colton and I figured out that I could still make outgoing calls. I pressed the home button and waited for Siri's beep.

"Colton," I said, my voice trembling.

The phone rang once before Colton picked up. "Do you already miss me?" he said with a chuckle.

"Colton, I need you to come back here. Something terrible has happened."

A minute later, Colton pulled into the driveway and raced to the front door.

"What's wrong?" he said with a frantic look on his face.

My hands shook as I handed him the paper.

Colton's face turned dark red. "Where did you find this?"

"It was on my porch near the door."

He rubbed his eyes and ran his hands through his hair. "Claudia, I'm so sorry. I never should have dragged you into this mess."

"It's okay. It's not your fault," I said with tears in my eyes. "I'm just so upset someone would do this... It's—it's just so hateful."

"We should call the police," Colton said, pulling out his phone.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

He nodded. "They might hate me, but this is unacceptable."

He dialed nine-one-one and gave them my address. I sat down on the couch and tapped my knees nervously.

"Claudia, I'm so sorry," Colton apologized again. "This never should have happened."

A few moments later, a police cruiser pulled up in front of the cabin. A large man with a full beard and a police uniform got out. Colton opened the door and invited the man inside. The officer scowled at Colton.

"I know I'm the last person you want to see," said Colton, "but while we were out today, someone came to Claudia's house and left this message."

The office took the piece of paper and read it. He sighed and stared at it for several seconds before looking up at me.

"Why are you spending time with this boy?" he asked abruptly.

My jaw dropped. "Excuse me?"

"This boy killed his father. You shouldn't be spending any time with this monster. He should be behind bars."

Colton clenched his fists.

"Leave," I said, pointing toward the door. "Get the hell off my property."

"My pleasure," the officer snarled, slamming the door behind him.

Fresh tears stung my eyes.

Colton's shoulders slumped. He closed his eyes and took several deep breaths. "I need to leave you alone. I should have known better. You need to head back to school, Claudia. I doubt the person who wrote this is dangerous, but you shouldn't take the risk."

I shook my head. "Are you serious?"

Colton took a step away. "I can have your car towed back. We can rent you one from Sandler in the meantime."

"No, I'm not going anywhere."

Colton shook his head. "I'm not going to make you go through this. I'm not worth it."

I stood up and took a step toward him.

"Seriously, Claudia. Don't."

I reached out and tried to grab his hands.

Colton stepped back again. "Please, Claudia. This is hard enough. Please, just stop. I'll be out of your life soon."

"Colton, stop," I pleaded.

"Just pack your things. I'll be waiting in the truck."

**********

Cliffhangers,

What do you think? Is Colton going to leave? Who do you think left the note on Claudia's door? Leave me a comment with your thoughts!

Hearts and Daggers,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo