Chapter Twelve

I CRUMBLED TO THE floor and began to sob. I stayed there until Colton came back.

His hardened face fell as he walked through the door and saw me on the ground. "Claudia, please don't do this."

"Colton, this is my family's cabin. I shouldn't have to leave until I'm ready to, and I thought you liked me?"

Colton crouched down and placed his hand on my back. "I do like you."

"Then act like it," I cried.

He didn't move for what felt like an eternity. If he didn't rest his hand on my back, I wouldn't have known he was still there. Finally, he sat down next to me on the floor.

"I can't do this to you," he whispered. "It's not fair to drag you into my messed-up life."

I placed my hand on his shoulder. "Colton, you didn't drag me into anything."

He looked up, his eyes red.

"Trust me, I'm a big girl. I can handle myself."

He shook his head. "If you were to get hurt, or if anything were to happen to you, I'd never forgive myself."

I faced him and tugged his hands down to his sides. "Then protect me. Don't push me away."

He shook his head. "It isn't that simple."

"Colton, you need to take a stand. Are you going to live the rest of your life like this? Always under someone's thumb? Never going out to eat? Not being able to get a job where you want?"

He shook his head. "Claudia, this isn't your battle to fight."

I pressed my lips together. An idea popped into my mind. "Can you take me to the hardware store?" I asked him.

Confusion crossed his face. "Pardon?"

"Can you take me to the nearest hardware store? I have a solution."

Colton looked down. "Claudia, you really should head home. It's what's best."

Leaning forward, I met his lips with an urgency I'd never experienced before. "Colton, this is what's best." Our mouths parted as I pulled his face toward mine. "Nothing else matters. Now, can you take me to the hardware store or not?"

_____

AN HOUR LATER, WE pulled into a hardware store in Sandler. I hopped out of Colton's truck and headed for the sliding doors.

With Colton a few steps behind me, I went to the nearest person wearing a nametag. "Hi, how can I help you today, miss?" he asked.

"I'm going to need several motion detectors, small video cameras, and several No Trespassing signs," I said.

"Having some trouble at home?" he asked.

"You could say that," I responded. "But I'm pretty sure if I get the supplies I need here today, I'll be able to nip it in the bud pretty quickly."

The man helped us find everything I needed and more. By the time I left the store, I had spent nearly a thousand dollars, but it was worth it. My cabin would be safe.

*******

Cliffhangers,

Claudia to the rescue! Do you think the threats have stopped?

Hearts and Daggers,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo