Chapter Five

Cassandra

After the school day finished, I run through the front door. 'Mum, I'm home!' I call out and soon enough she came down the stairs and embraced me in a big hug.

'How was your day, dear?' She pulled back and smiles. 'It was good mum! Is it okay if I go and say hello to Patricia now? I really want to see-' Mum puts up her hand, silencing me.

'It's okay Cassandra, you can stop calling her that name.' I look at her in shock. 'I know it's actually Penelope, I visited the house today.' She giggles at my reaction.

'What did she tell you?' Mum sits down on the armchair and heaves a sigh. 'She told me details about herself that she used as proof and what happened to make her get older overnight.'

I nod with a smile and ask again if I could visit Penelope. Soon enough I was at the front door and knocked three times. Soon the door opens to Ms Davis smiling at me brightly. 'Hello, Cassandra! You here to see Patricia?' I nod with a smile. 'She's just hanging outside.'

I slide open the glass door and run outside. 'Hey, Penelope!' I greet her as she turns around to the sound of my voice. She smiles as I sit down next to her.

'I'm sorry about what happened this morning.' I say, looking down at the grass. 'It's probably being habit from when you were eight.' Penelope sighs, knowing that I felt guilty about it.

She gives me a gentle smile. 'Don't worry about it, Cassandra.' She lets me off the hook before she clenches her fist. 'That wasn't the worst part of my day actually. I went into the high school and joined a year 12 maths class which really sucked. Then while I was walking out of the building, some guy called Chase actually kissed me! Who would kiss a random stranger?'

'Was this guy cute?' I say with a cheeky grin but stopped when I noticed her frowning. 'What a idiotic guy! Timmy will probably be like him when he reaches that age for sure.'

She giggles while shaking her head. 'Damn right he will, they are both already stupid enough.' I laugh out loud at her comment. 'On a serious note, what if I see him again?'

'Hopefully you will be eight again by the time he sees you next.' I say and hold her hand. 'But if you do see him again, just kick him in the balls. That will probably keep Chase away.'

She frees her hand and heaves a sigh. 'What if I will never be eight years old again?' Penelope looks at me, her eyes glistening with tears. 'I don't even know if that bright light will ever appear again and it could be my only chance to get back to normal.'

'Hey, we will fix this.' I say without the shadow of a doubt.

'We will.' She smiles, giving me a hug.