Soleil; Race

Hands pushed my back onto the bed as I thrashed around wildly. I wound my hands into the thin bedsheets and heard them rip wildly under the strain.

"Let me go!"

"Stay still," Carmine shouted, pinning my hands behind my back.

"Calm down Lei! The Supergiants need to talk to you!"

"Well you can tell them that they can go suck-"

"I hope you aren't going to finish that sentence," laughed a voice from the door. She had long white hair, the tips almost silver. Her face was as pale as snow and as delicate looking as porcelain, her eyes were an icy blue and pierced through my very core. Her white furred robe glided across the floor with each fluid step. Behind her was a thin man who seemed to bore down on all of us. He had dark hair with streaks of silver, his eyes were a piercing grey and seemed to reflect the color of thunderclouds.

"Nice to meet you, stranger," his voice rumbled out.

"My name is Opale," the female smiled thinly, she drew her robe closer to her as if she was cold.

"Rozario," the other responded.

"Lolli and Carmine, have been hospitable I hope," Opale glanced at me and Carmine jumped off me, releasing my hands in the process.

"Extremely," I replied, shortly.

"Glad to hear it. We have many questions for you," Rozario narrowed his eyes slightly.

"My name is Soleil. I was on a routine mission to the Moon and a planning error led me into the path of a black hole. I blacked out and woke up here."

"Interesting," Opale put one hand over her mouth, "I've never heard of such a strange feat."

"Neither have I," interjected Lolli.

"Silence!" Rozario snapped suddenly. He threw out his hands and Lolli bowed awkwardly. Muscles along her spine rippled in discomfort, as if some invisible force was bending her against her will.

"Pressure," Carmine whispered from the side of me, "your Bright levels affect how other Stars act towards you. One word and they can have you on the verge of suicide."

I swallowed.

"Soleil," I turned quickly and bowed respectfully, "We have many questions for you, none that you may be able to answer."

"We'd like to enroll you into the Academy," Rozario added in a voice that didn't give any option at all. "There you can learn to control your newfound powers. We can already see the Bright rolling off you, we'd like to monitor this closely. This is the first time a transformation like this has been seen in the Meridian Cosmos."

"It is most...interesting," Opale said thoughtfully. "You are very unique indeed."

Opale strolled over to my and placed her hand on my forehead. Where her skin touched me, there was a burst of heat like when two sparks collide in an explosion. Her eyes flashed in surprise and she stepped back hastily. She turned her head and threw Rozario a quick glance, a non-verbal message passes in a second.

"You will attend the same classes as Lolli and Carmine." Rozario turned on his heel and prepared to walk out the infirmiry door.

"H-Hold on!" I called out quickly. "What if I want to go home? Can't you send me back?"

Opale laughed, "We couldn't. Even if we wanted too! You are an incredible specimen and I'm afraid you don't have the license to Fall yet."

"Fall?"

"You humans are awfully fond of wishing on our means of transportation. Only SuperGiants and Neutron stars are able to 'Fall' or travel through the galaxy. Once you attain your license you are free to travel where you like. We will allow you to leave soon, anyways."

I nodded slowly, "How do I get a Falling license?"

"You need to win the Supernova Games," was the immediate reply from all the stars in the room.

"What's...that?" I pictured a few random carnival games and was confused as to why they were treating it with such reverence.

"You don't know what that means?" cried Lolli, astonished.

"Well, I haven't exactly been here very long, have I?" I snapped.

Carmine snickered, "It's only the most famous race of Star history."

"So... it's a footrace?"

"Sorta..." Carmine trailed off.

"It's a week long every-star-for-himself fight to the death in a race across the galaxy."

"Oh." All dreams of getting home were suddenly shot out the window. Or rather, it was now floating someplace past Mars.

"This isn't something to enter lightly." Rozario said sagely.

"I'll think about," I whispered, feeling like I was about to cry.

Should I stay here as a Star forever or die trying to get home?