Prologue

You have finally arrived in Alola after the terribly long boat ride from Johto. You decide to message professor Elm, but you're greeted with an unidentified number wanting to video chat with you.
You pick up, slightly concerned and you see a tan man wearing sunglasses, a hat and seemingly a lack of a shirt...
"Al- er um... HELLO!" He says in an accent you've never heard before. "I heard from Elm that you're coming to Alola to study our Pokémon, yeah?" You cock an eyebrow unconsciously at his weird way of talking, thinking over what he said and answering with a small nod. "Good!" He smiles broadly, " I'll see you in a minute!" Before you could ask for his name, he hangs up and you're left with a few tones before your pokegear shuts off. You sigh, grab your bags and get off the boat and onto the port. Almost as soon as your feet are on the ground, you are hit with a wave of heat that you've never experienced from Johto (or Kalos, for that matter). You regret not wearing shorts, or even a short sleeved shirt for the occasion
     You look around and see the tan man, now wearing a lab coat. He is a lot taller than you thought he would be. He waves at you and walks toward you, accompanied by two kids, one a boy and the other a girl.
"Alola!" The boy says and runs up to you. "I'm Hau!" He says with a huge grin.
" uh... nice to meet you, Hau, my name is (y/n)." You smile sheepishly as the other two arrive next to him. You look at them both, almost glad that they're not as energetic as Hau.
" Good evening, (Y/n)! This, as you already know, is Hau, and this lovely lady is Lillie,"the man says, and you shake the girl's hand.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Lillie, Hau.... um who might you be, sir?"
The tall man seems a bit taken back at what you said, and shakes his head in disbelief. "Did Elm not tell you about me?" You shake your head and he continues, though his grin has fallen slightly. "Uh... well my name is Kukui, I'm the professor for this beautiful region!" You gasp slightly, professor Elm had mentioned a Kukui, but said he wouldn't really be important, nor that he would look so unprofessional.
"Er... The professor did mention you, actually... I just wasn't expecting you to look..." you trailed off and tried not to make eye contact. He took this silence as an opportunity to finish your sentence, saying something along the lines of "this handsome?!" Or whatever. You chuckled, hoping you wouldn't have to talk to him too often, for he was getting annoying quickly. Of course, you couldn't get away that easily, and had to follow him to his house to learn about Alola customs, Pokémon, and so on, so forth.

You arrive at his house a little quicker than you imagine, even after stopping by a house close to his to talk to a woman who's daughter is supposedly taking on the island challenges. You take note to ask Kukui about them later. Kukui opens the door to his house and is greeted by a small puppy-like Pokémon that happily barks around his ankles. Hau waves goodbye, and the remainder of you guys enter the beat up house. Lillie waves at you a little and climbs up a latter leading to a loft, which means you are left alone with the annoying professor. You let out a quiet sigh as he starts up on the task you're sent here for, that of which you already know from what professor Elm has told you. He talks for seemingly forever until he asks for your pokedex.
"My- wait, what?"
" hand me your pokedex. I need to update it to fit the region" he smiles and holds out a hand.
" oh... uh... The professor already updated it," you halfheartedly laughed, hoping he wouldn't press.
"Did he fit it with your very own," he pauses for dramatic effect while he calls out a Pokémon from a ball he grabs from his belt," ROTOM??!" It buzzes in his direction and floats toward you a little.
" no, actually, but he did make it so that it's compatible, I guess..." you take your pokedex out of your bag and offer it to the Pokémon floating around you. It happily accepts and as soon as it gets comfortable in it's new "home" it talks to you with a little high pitched robotic voice
"Hello? Hello? Tezzzt one two three?" It seemed thrilled at the sound of its voice and happily levitated in fast circles around you before calming down and settling in your hands.
"Well little Rotom seems to like you quite a lot!" Kukui says, putting his hands on his hips and laughing. You smile and nod again, itching to leave. "You look eager to leave, yeah?" He sighs, " one more thing, okay?" You eagerly nod and he disappears somewhere downstairs. Moments later, he arrives with a letter in his hand and gives it to you. "I believe you already have my number, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!" He smiles brightly and opens the door leading outside.