Chapter 5

Quill pushed open two large dark wood, intricately carved doors revealing the throne room. There was a long red carpet that went from one end of the room to the other, that went up to the two steps to the throne where the King sat waiting for her.

The warrior remained in front of her as they walked through the room.

Aylin felt a pair of scrutinizing eyes through him hitting her. Moving aside, she kept her head down, in respect. Her fingers intertwined in themselves, tightly.

"Your Majesty--"

"Silence!" he growled at Quill. His tone made her flinch. "So, you're the girl from the cells?"

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Tell me, why should I let you live? You've trespassed on my land."

Quill hoped that she would give him a good answer, or it was his life on the line. He could see how nervous she was.

"I don't have a reason, Your Majesty."

'Oh shit,' Quill thought.

The King shot a death glare to Quill. Immediately, Quill dropped his head, knowing full well that was not the answer she should have given him.

"Look at me," he commanded.

All the while, Kaia was screaming inside Aylin's head. 'Mate! Mate!'

'Shut up, Kaia. He's a king, I'm nothing.'  True, the intoxicating scent of the King was wafting into Aylin's nose, but she knew that he would never have a wolf such as her.

Little did Aylin know that the King was also struggling with her scent as it filled his nose. Every muscle was tense, and all he wanted to do was tell her the truth. But he wouldn't. He didn't need a mate, nor did he ever want one. Mates were a weakness.

When she raised her head, their eyes immediately locked. Aylin was blown away with his features. He was incredibly muscular, slightly tanned skin, deep forest green eyes, with gelled back blonde hair, a chiseled jaw with a little of stubble. He may have been the most beautiful creature that she ever set her eyes on.

She noticed his fists clenched on the arms of the throne was set upon, only balled tighter when their eyes met. "So, you came onto my land, and you don't have a reason why I shouldn't kill you?"

"No, Your Majesty."

"Then there is nothing stopping me from throwing you back in the cells?"

"No, Your Majesty."

As he stared at the girl in front of him, the King didn't know how to react to what she was saying. Here's a girl that, by law, should have been killed on sight, yet she stood before him, not caring about her own life.

Though she was skinny, and appeared weak, she was beautiful. Her slightly damp chestnut hair came to the middle of her back, her gorgeous blue eyes shined when she looked at him. She was a little thing, no more than 5' tall. It pained him to see how skinny she was. Something happened to this creature that he couldn't fathom; he wasn't going to ask.

Aylin's eyes quickly moved to the creature leaning on the throne beside the King. She was reminded of her past; how Daemon rejected her for someone more beautiful. This woman was no different. Long black hair, deep brown eyes, a skirt that left nothing to the imagination, slightly tanned skin; everything she wasn't. Once again, her heart sank at the idea that her second chance mate was with another woman. She wasn't surprised though.

"What's your name?"

"Aylin Turner, Your Majesty."

"Well, Aylin Turner, it's not often that trespassers are brought before me. Quill seems to think that there is something different about you. Frankly, I don't see it." His words made Aylin's head drop.

"Do what you will with me."

"Quill."

"Majesty?"

"Take her back to her room," he commanded.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Quill approached Aylin, placing his hand on the small of her back. A rumble came from the King's chest, but he did nothing. He watched as they left the throne room.

Once the doors slammed closed, the woman beside the King started to let out a chuckle. "Oh, Ezekiel, just end her misery. She's a pathetic excuse of a wolf."

Slamming his fist down on the arm of the chair, he growled at the woman. "You know nothing, Ana. Do not speak of things you know nothing of, again."

Bowing in submission, "I apologize, Your Majesty."

"Go wait in my room."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Bounding off, Ezekiel was left to his own thoughts. Who was this girl? Where did she come from? And why did she have such a low opinion of her life? He knew that as a king, having a queen would help strengthen his kingdom. Obviously, she was, at the very least, aware of whom he was, and knew of what happened when his land was trespassed upon. But still, she had no care in the world for what could happen to her. He wanted to know whom hurt her so deeply that she was so broken, and lost.

"Your Majesty," Angus' voice brought him out of his thoughts.

"What is it?"

"Did you meet the girl?"

"Yes."

"Was Quill correct? Is she worth keeping alive?"

"I want you to find out where she came from, what pack."

"To what end?"

Rising to his feet, anger coursed through his veins. "Do you question me? Your King?"

"No, Your Majesty, but she's a weak wolf. What use could she be?"

"Do as I say!" he bellowed at his Beta.

Bowing, Angus didn't want to incur Ezekiel's wrath anymore. "As you wish, Majesty." Turning on his heel, he left him alone again.

"What happened to you, Aylin Turner?"