The Virtuous Princess - part 2 - Destiny and Fate

The next princess to enter the crowded ballroom was from the distant island of Benevolence. A marvelous sight to behold, Princess Kindness wore a pale-green chiffon gown gathered at the waist with a bejeweled belt. On her shoulders she wore an emerald-green cape trimmed with gold flowers. Her magnificent black hair was braided and intertwined with gold chains, and on her head she wore a fabulous tiara encrusted with priceless emeralds. She, too, curtsied and took her place among the other princesses.

Finally, the last princess to enter was even more brilliantly dressed and just as beautiful as those who had come before her. Her Royal Highness Princess Patience of the southern kingdom of Endurance looked absolutely glorious in her midnight-blue gown delicately woven with small silver stars that shimmered like diamonds when the light danced about her as she moved. Splendid blue sapphires adorned her flowing golden hair. She, too, curtsied to her hosts and took her place on the last of the seven golden thrones.

Now that the seven princesses had gathered, everyone was eager to see whom the prince would choose to be his princess.

The king and queen seemed enchanted with all the princesses. Not only were all of them very beautiful, but an alliance with any of these princesses would be very fortuitous to the kingdom of Humanity.

Prince Courageous knew he had to choose one of these princesses. It was expected of him; it was his duty. But the one he was waiting for, had not come.

Then suddenly, something completely unexpected happened.

At the great golden threshold of the magnificent Spring Palace, a beautiful young woman appeared. The guards were reluctant to let her in, for she had no retinue and was quite plainly dressed in a simple white chiffon gown, bound about the waist with a wide gold belt. Her shining golden hair was loose and modestly ornamented with an unpretentious wreath of tiny white flowers.

As she walked into the crowded ballroom, all eyes were upon her. Her head gently lowered, she looked shy and uneasy in the splendor of her surroundings. But what was most prominent about her bearing was that she glowed with an inner radiance that all around her could plainly see. Anyone who gazed on this beauteous being was completely mesmerized by her presence.

The prince gazed at her as she lifted her eyes slowly to look at him. Their eyes locked across the crowded ballroom. His heart beat erratically. It was her; he just knew it. She was the one he'd been waiting for.

The prince was in a trance as he strode purposefully through the crowd towards her. It was the strangest feeling, and he felt as if he already knew her.

The mysterious woman stood strong, silent, and unwavering amid the chattering guests, holding his gaze, her blue eyes twinkling as if she knew something everyone else did not.

Prince Courageous stopped in front of her and bowed. "You came," he said simply, gently taking her hand in his.

She nodded. "Our destinies are eternally entwined," she said in a tender voice, "we are fated to be together forever."

And in that moment the prince knew in his heart that what she said was indeed the truth, she was always the one he was meant to be with.

Prince Courageous escorted her to the Diamond Throne where the king and queen sat.

Queen Grace looked kindly on the young woman and was quite surprised and intrigued as the girl curtsied more gracefully than any of the princesses who had come before her. But the queen, not sure who this young woman was or where she came from, called her forward to speak with her.

"My child," said Queen Grace gently to the young woman, "we've gathered here today to choose a bride for my son, Prince Courageous. All who've come here have been invited and are recognized by their titles. We're sorry for our surprise, but no one here recognizes you or knows who you are."

Then, King Fortitude spoke, "I think it's plain to see that the prince is obviously quite besotted with you, my dear," said the king sternly, glancing momentarily at his son. "Would you be so kind as to tell us your name and your title?"

The young woman lifted her clear blue eyes to the king and queen and said in a shy but strong voice, "I was told by the three fairies of The Gold-Leaf Woods to come here to the Spring Palace on this day, for I, too, am a princess of royal blood and was gifted a divine virtue at birth." She paused, her blue eyes shimmering like the sea in sunlight. "I don't blame the wise woman for overlooking me," she added quietly, "for the virtue I've been blessed with is very seldom remembered by most."

She turned gracefully, her bearing most regal, so that everyone in the great hall could hear what she had to say. In a strong and clear voice as pleasing to the ear as her face was beautiful to gaze upon, she said, "I am Princess Royal from the faraway kingdom of Light, and my name is Faith."

Prince Courageous gently took her hand in his and announced to the king and queen that he had to look no more, that Princess Faith was the one who'd be his bride.

***********

Dearest Readers, Please read on.... the story is not over. Hope you are enjoying it :))