The Virtuous Princess - part 3 - The Wedding

And so Queen Grace planned a magnificent summer wedding, which was held in the spectacular Gardens of Knowledge. Beautiful marquees created from flowering vines and shimmering cloths of gold adorned the gardens. Carpets of wildflowers wove through the crowd, creating soft paths for the guests to walk on.

The bride arrived in a magnificent gilded carriage, drawn by four wondrous white unicorns with rainbow-coloured horns. When she emerged from her carriage, everyone stopped and turned to see the one who had captured the heart of the bravest prince in all the lands.

Princess Faith was a dazzling sight to behold. Wearing a magnificent white wedding dress artfully crafted by the fairies, she walked down the petal-laden aisle on the arm of her father Divinity, the king of Light.

Her dress was adorned with real flowers and silver vines that wound themselves around her like a cocoon of shimmering gauze and flowing chiffon. Her veil was made of the most intricately crafted lace, and it was fastened with a stunning coronet of magnificent diamonds. She was the most wonderful and beauteous creature to have ever graced the shores of the kingdom of Humanity.

The grand ceremony was presided over by the three fairies of The Gold-Leaf Woods, Hope, Belief and Trust, who'd come at the request of the king of Light himself.

The king and queen of Humanity were beside themselves with joy as their only son and heir, Prince Courageous, married his chosen bride, Princess Faith of the land of Light.

But just as the wedding came to an end, a dark shadow passed over the Gardens of Knowledge. The great dragon Deception flew down from the darkened sky and landed in front of Princess Faith.

The ancient dragon turned his head towards the prince with triumph gleaming in his evil, obsidian eyes. "I will have my revenge on you yet, Courageous," roared the mighty dragon. He turned back towards princess Faith, just as dragon fire erupted from his nose and mouth.

"No," cried Courageous, running towards his bride. But the prince could not get to her in time, as a great ball of flame enveloped Princess Faith.

Finally, the raging flames subsided, and everyone gasped aloud. There stood Princess Faith, steady and calm amid the dwindling flames and, most importantly, completely unhurt. "You cannot harm me," said Princess Faith in a voice loud and clear but without anger, "for I am protected by a power far greater than you." She looked over meaningfully at her father, Divinity, who stood calm and unwavering, his arms crossed across his chest and his eyes flashing a brilliant blue.

The dragon had not expected this and was temporarily caught off guard. Prince Courageous was enraged at the dragon's attempt to kill his bride. He leapt at Deception with his great sword and pierced one of the dragon's eyes.

The mighty dragon roared in anger and pain. Just before he retreated to the skies, he called out to the prince. "I am immortal, Courageous, and I will still be here long after your mortal bones have been taken back by the earth," he roared. "Remember what I told you before: you will never be free of me until the day my complete opposite sits on the Diamond Throne."

And the great dragon flew off, just as he had before, with the promise to heal and return again someday.

***********

Dear readers, there is one more part to the story, please continue reading and voting if you like it.