7. Diary of Jane

A/N: Here is the seventh chapter of Breathe Me! Thank you again and again to everyone who has responded to this story! I made a playlist for this story as well, and I add the songs as I write the chapter, so check it out! I'll leave the link with the summary and here (https://open.spotify.com/user/airrah11/playlist/36FIy3rUn9PnIs4Y56jCjq) Enjoy :)

Kaien knocked on the door to the Kiryu couple's apartments, sliding within quietly before ghosting through the halls to the Queen's private office where he was to meet with his two oldest friends.

"Kaien," Queen Kimiko greeted with a warm smile.

Though it was warm he could spot the worry clear as day in her pale blue eyes.

Her husband stood from the chair by the fireplace, saluting the ex-hunter in welcome with a glass of bourbon.

"Kimiko, Shiro." Kaien smiled in return and Kimiko guided him over to the fireplace where embers popped and crackled underneath a roaring flame.

The Queen handed him a glass of lightbringer's white wine- his old favorite.

They all sat and were silent for a few minutes.

"Tell me about her." Kimiko finally commanded and Kaien sighed.

"Well she has become quite the good young woman," Kaien admitted, "She is as stunning as you predicted, Kimiko."

Shiro sighed, "Then I take it you agree with my wife- agree that she is the Silent Queen reborn."

Kimiko flinched at the title, performing a sacred hand gesture at the mention.

Kaien nodded at the Kiryu King's words.

"Yes, I... The signs have been there, Shiro. And I believe the Serpent King has known about her for some time."

Kimiko blew out a breath, "How? We took pains to hide her from him? We have not breathed a word of her location in his presence..."

"He is tricky, Kimiko. He is equally parts cunning as he is resourceful. And he has agents everywhere." Shiro drawled bitterly.

Kaien blew out a breath, "I didn't dare send word about it, lest I draw Rido's attention as well, but the Serpent King's servants have watched over her since she learned to walk."

"That long?" Kimiko breathed.

"Yes," Kaien nodded once more, "But he has never made a move to harm her. I believe he has communicated with her via the bodies of some of them- he has left gifts to her since she was small- song pages."

"When was the last time you witnessed this?" Shiro asked, sipping his bourbon, the ice clinking against his glass as he brought it to his lips.

Kaien frowned, "I think they argued on the eve of her fifteenth birthday- I have seen neither hide nor hair of a snake near the cottage ever since."

Kimiko relaxed, "Good. Maybe he has lost interest in her."

"I doubt it," Shiro groaned, "You remember him the night we struck the deal, Kimiko. And to think we had escaped a worse curse when the healer said he was dying..."

Kaien's eyes widened, "You don't-you can't think..."

Shiro nodded, his voice grave.

"Yes my friend, we have housed the demon for nearly seventeen years now."

"No..."

"Yes, Kaien." Kimiko edged, "I know he may seem kind and charming- but he is more than what he seems."