10. White Foxes

A/N: Here is the tenth chapter of Breathe Me! I have the next chapter written up- it'll be brief, but it packs a punch, so look forward to that after this one! Thank ya'll for reading, and I hope you enjoy this one! :)

Zero had recognized his voice as soon as they began their vows- had sensed his unique presence as soon as she entangled her hand in his.

It was him- it was the unnamed vampire from the glade.

His name was Kaname- he was the Kuran Prince- her tentative husband.

He had recognized her as well, she could feel it in the way he clasped her hand in his- in the strength he offered her perhaps unwittingly.

Did I not wish it was him?

He was her's.

She felt her eyes well with tears that she didn't allow to fall in gratitude.

At least we've met.

She would laugh at herself for the sheer relief she felt in that moment later, she was sure.

Such a small thing to be glad for on a day that had been like no other- at least the night seemed to be far more forgiving, welcoming her with open arms as if to offer respite from the revelations that the day had brought.

And yet apprehension still raced threw her at what would come after the ceremony.

Consummation.

Nadeshiko had reminded her of what followed every wedding, but was especially important to royal weddings designed for an alliance.

But oddly enough she was not afraid of it- not knowing why but yet finding comfort in Kaname's presence, sensing he would never hurt her.

Why? Why am I so certain of him?

Zero blew out a breath after they completed their spoken vows, the words billowing in and out of her mind like a breeze through the large windows in her upstairs bedroom in the cottage.

He was achingly still, but did not grip her hands tighter than before and if she thought vampires were capable of being nervous, she'd say the Kuran Prince most certainly was.

She closed her eyes- they hadn't helped her since she had been veiled by her maid, the thick veil enshrouding her vision in near darkness if not for the sparse light that ascended via the open bottom.

He raised his right hand from her left, her right still bound with silk and cord to his left, and she felt him gently begin to lift up the bottom of the veil.

She would not open her eyes- not until he had removed it completely- she wanted to see him in full, see his reaction to her.

He gently threw it back over her head, and she felt it fall back against her hair.

She opened her eyes slowly, scanning up over his rich crimson coat with golden clasps to his face which seemed carved of stone in a perfect facade of collection.

But an indiscernible storm of emotion brewed within his dark eyes and she found she couldn't look away for even a moment.

All was silent in the room- the piano going quiet as soon as the vows had begun.

"Zero," He murmured.

She bit her bottom lip, "Kaname."

No one in the room moved, not the priestesses, not Nadeshiko, nor the grey haired woman dressed in dull toned finery who hung in the shadows.

He ran his free hand along her jaw, his eyes tracing over every dent and crevice in her face.

Does he find me lacking?