seven

8:49 am, 26th October, 1976

Three of the Marauders - James, Sirius, Peter - along with Lily, Marlene, and Harper were sat at the Gryffindor table cramming in breakfast before lessons started

"And did you see the way you scored that last goal!" Sirius punched James lightly on the shoulder, causing him to laugh, "And the way you dove for the snitch!" Sirius turned to Marlene as both of them grinned.

He was turning back and forth between the two quidditch players, reminding them of their 'totally amazingly cool' moves. Sirius was like a small puppy, talking to whoever payed the most attention to him. Unsurprisingly, Marlene was winning this.

"I'm sure you're better than I am." She laughed shyly before continuing, "Why didn't you try out?"

Of course Marlene already knew why.

"Basically, last year we did this amazing prank on Snivellus-"
"Black." Lily glared at him.
"We did this amazing prank on Snape and a few other Slytherins. Surely you must remember? Right at the end of the year? McGonagall caught us and said I couldn't be on the team this year because of it. Seriously? You don't remember? The one where-"

"Where's Remus?" Harper piped up, blatantly interrupting and then ignoring Sirius.

Harper had suddenly become aware of his absence and throughout breakfast had been growing increasingly tense because of it.

"He didn't get up to come down. Told us to sod off! Can you believe it?"
"Shut up Black. You talk too much." Lily retorted before watching Harper purse her lips and stare at her empty plate.
"You going to find him?" James pushed up his glasses and raised an eyebrow.
"Yeah," Harper snapped her head up. Without saying anything else she climbed out of her seat and left the hall.

She briskly made her way back to the common room and almost walked past the groaning body sprawled across the sofa in front of the dead fire. Harper stopped dead in her tracks.

"Remus?" She asked slowly, nearing the boy.
"H-Harp," He mumbled into the cushion, pushing himself up slightly.

Harper had to try not to step away when she saw his face. Remus' face was almost the same colour as parchment - an almost pale, sickly, yellow colour. His eyes were droopy and suddenly he started to cough uncontrollably.

"I'm sick." He spluttered, sitting upright and rubbing his temple.
"You're telling me," she sat beside him, "I'll bet anything it's because you gave your coat to me."
"Well I wouldn't want you to be like this." He coughed again, which slowly turned into a slightly retching.

Harper scrunched her nose as Remus rubbed his eyes, making them red and bloodshot. He sniffed a bit before finally giving in and sneezing.

"I think you should go to bed." She admitted, resting her hand on his leg.
"If I stand I'll fall over." He grumbled, closing his eyes.
"Then I'll help you. Come on," Harped helped to lift him to his feet. She moved his arm around her shoulders so he could lean on her, and then led the boy up to his dormitory.

"Which bed is yours?" She asked, scanning underneath the beds for trunks with initials on them.

Remus grumbled something inaudible in response so she just sighed and lay him on the nearest bed to the door.

"Just... Go to sleep, I'm sure you'll feel better in no time." Harper attempted to soothe him.
"Have you seen me? I'm on death's door." He coughed again as he lay on his back.
"Yeah, I know." She sighed, smiling down at him.

"Classes start soon," Remus pointed out after a minute.
"Yeah, I know." She smiled again, resting her hand on his arm, "I don't want to leave you alone though." She admitted.

"If you stay you'll just get sick." Remus protested but he was to weak to actually move too much.
"A risk I'm willing to take." Harper patted his arm, "Now, do you have any books I can read?" She asked, standing up and peering around the room.
"Why?"
"You're going to go to sleep and I'm going to wait until you do."

Remus closed his eyes.

"There's a beside table will a stack of books on. They're mine."
She scurried over to the books and pulled a particularly large one out.
"Fantastic Beasts?" She read aloud.

Just as Harper turned back around she saw Remus had already passed out. His eyes were closed ever so gently and his mouth slightly agape, letting out heavy and slightly congested breaths.

Harper perched on the end of the bed and crossed her legs before opening up the dusty book.

An hour quickly passed by and Harper decided it was probably best that she turned up for the second lesson of the day.

"Sweet dreams Moony. I'll check in on you later." She whispered to the still sleeping Remus as she pressed a kiss to his cheek.

Little did she know he'd heard ever word. Remus was just too shattered to actually open his eyes.

With one final sigh, Harper placed the book down on the edge of the bed and departed from the dormitory. As she pulled her robes tightly over her shoulders she made her way towards Transfiguration.

"Miss Brooke, a little late today." McGonagall stood proudly at the front of the class.
"Sorry professor." Harper mumbled quietly before taking her own seat beside Lily.

"How's Remus?" Lily asked as McGonagall spoke to the class about vanishing spells.
"Terrible. I'm not going to lie it was a little gross, but he's asleep now." Harper explained, nonchalantly flipping through the pages of her textbook.

"Something you care to share with the class?" McGonagall raised an eyebrow at the two girls.
"Mr Lupin is sick, that's all." Harper shrugged and relaxed into her seat. Lily almost let out a gasp as her mouth hung open. They could hear James and Sirius trying to contain their laughter behind them.
"Please, focus on the lesson." McGonagall sighed before resuming what she was previously speaking about.

The lesson dragged on, each minute that passed seem to feel like an hour. Harper couldn't get the worries about Remus out of her head .

"Potter," Harper hissed as they eventually escaped from the lesson.
He spun around as the rest of the class pushed past them and away to their next lessons.
"Lily asked me how you were the other day and I forgot to mention." She explained.
James' eyes lit up at the news and his characteristic smirk revealed itself.
"You forgot?" He exclaimed, "You forgot that Lily now cares about me!" He punched the air.

Harper tried to contain her laughter as he bounded around, hitting the air and skidding around.
"So all you need to do is not show off and act a little distant but maybe ask how her day has been or something."
"That, I can do."