twenty seven

3:23 pm, 10th May, 1977

Lily Evans was well known around the school

Lily Evans was well known around the school. She was extremely popular and always offering support to anyone that needed it - regardless of whether they were brave enough to ask. Always radiating joy and love, the students of Hogwarts took note of the change in Lily over the past week.
Not only had she been completely distant from her best friend Severus Snape, she had willingly spent a lunch meal with James Potter. She had also spent her time stomping around the castle angrily, a far cry from the calmness she usually carried.

But now Lily was sat beside Harper in the library. Harper tapped her foot impatiently on the floor, resting her head on her hand as she waited for Lily to finish writing.

"Harper... could you be any more impatient?" Lily laughed at her friend.
"You realise the slower you write, the longer I'm going to spend copying you." Harper frowned, leaning back in her seat and folding her arms.

"You're so smart you don't even need to copy my work!" Lily rolled her eyes as she finished another sheet of parchment and Harper snatched it to start copying it down.
"I'm only smart because I copy your work." Harper mumbled as she started scrawling down her work.

This was only partially true. Harper's father had been excellent and magic and was often found teaching his daughter spells and charms that were far beyond her capability. Looking back on it, Harper suspected this was because he knew he would eventually be cast out from the family. Her father had been a blood traitor, not only because he was a half blood but as he was from Gryffindor and supported the rights of muggle borns and creatures such as house elves.

Lily sighed, slamming her book closed and deciding that had been enough work for the day.

"Lil? Will you just tell me what's wrong?" Harper asked, looking up from her work.
"Nothing is wrong." Lily shrugged.

Harper pursed her lips, it was unfair of Lily to spend so much time helping others and offering out perfect advice when she wouldn't even confide in Harper.

"You've been saying that for ages now and it's not true. If you don't tell me then James will only start bugging you about it." Harper watched for Lily's reaction but was met with nothing, "Do you know how many hours I've spent with James pestering me about you? At least let me know so I can fix it for you, or so I know that you're not dying and I can tell James to leave you alone... I just want to fix it for you, whatever it is."

A small smile crept onto Lily's face, "Is Remus not letting you feel sorry for him anymore? Is that why you're trying so hard to help?"

Harper grumbled, Lily knew too much for her own good.

"Technically... Remus told me I'm not allowed to take care of him or worry about him anymore. But. But, you're one of my best friends and I just need you to be okay, you know?"

"Harp, you are sweet." Lily cooed.
"Harper. It's Harper. And I'm not sweet, I'm punk whilst also being caring." Harper stuck her tongue out at Lily.

"Whatever you say." Lily tucked her book into her bag and stood up.
"Are you not going to put these books away with me?"
"Oh, no. You copied my work so you can put the books back." Lily flashed a smile to Harper before walking away proudly.

Harper frowned as Lily walked away. How did that girl manage to avoid the question? And more importantly, what was bothering Lily?
The redhead was quite possibly the sweetest girl in the entire world and nobody had ever seen her angry before. Let alone angry for such a prolonged period of time. That only meant that whatever the cause was, was something serious.
Something Harper was determined to figure out.

"What's up with you?" Remus asked as Harper angrily entered the common room later that night.
"Nothing." She replied shortly, sitting down beside him.

Without thinking about it the two held hands and laced their fingers together, holding it in Remus' lap.

"Well you're a liar."
Harper scoffed, "Oh thanks."
"Did you find out what's up with Lily? Because James has started pestering me to ask you to ask Lily and I might have to kill him." Remus chuckled lightly, watching Harper close her eyes and lean her head back.
"No, she won't tell me."

"I got good news though." Remus stood up suddenly, grinning widely.
"Huh?" Harper didn't moved, probably not even noticing Remus has jumped up apart from their hands separating.

"Harp, do you want to know what I found out?" Remus prodded the side of her face.
"Okay, what?"
"Well I'm not telling you if you're being moody. I know you want to help Lily but don't let her stubbornness get you down."

"Okay, okay, fine. What did you find out?" Harper smiled back at him.
"Are you sure you want to know?"
She laughed, standing up to face him, "Would you just tell me?"

"Well that's no way to ask."
"You offered!" Harper exclaimed.
"A please might be nice is all."
"Are you trying to wind me up?"
"Maybe."
"And this, this is why I hate you."

Remus gasped, clutching his hand to his stomach and pretending to have been shot.
"Stop it!" Harper complained, laughing as he pulled her into a hug.

"Guys guys guys!" Mary Macdonald burst through the common room door, pulling a startled looking third year in behind her.

"Mary Mary Mary!" Remus called acting out her same enthusiasm.
"Stop it." Harper stifled her laugh before hitting Remus' arm.

"Guys, I have just the best idea!" Mary squealed, pushing the younger student forwards.

"Sorry, who is this?" Harper asked, taking note of the terrified expression the third year wore.
"His name is Lucas but that's not important." Mary waved her hand, "Look what he has!"

Harper shared a look with Remus before Lucas held out his camera.

"Nice camera?" Remus frowned.
"Yeah, it's lovely..." Harper agreed with slight uncertainty.

"Guys!" Mary complained desperately, "He can take pictures and enchant they to move like they do in the Daily Prophet. We can get pictures of everyone together and it'll be like, really cool."

Remus frowned again, "You want him to take pictures of us?"
"Lucas, do you actually want to do that?" Harper looked over at the boy.

"Well, it'll really help with my Charms work." He answered quietly, shrugging and looking down at the floor.

"Isn't it a little weird? Having this boy act as a photographer for all of us?" Remus laughed awkwardly.
"We can pose for a nice picture if it'll help with his Charms, can't we?" Harper turned to him.

Before Remus has the chance to reply, Mary had pushed Lucas to raise his camera.

"It might get Mary to shut up as well." Harper murmured quietly.
"Or to get her to stop harassing the poor boy." Remus smirked.

The two stifled their laughs to smile for the camera and once it had clicked, they burst out laughing. Harper and Remus turned to look at each other, wide grins still on their faces.

"That was a little weird."
"Just a little."

"Now do you want to know what I found?" Remus asked as he watched Mary drag Lucas away again.
"Yes please."
"Sirius convinced one of the house elves to make a giant cake for him, but I think we can steal it before Sirius gets the chance to eat it himself."

Harper's face suddenly lighting up was the only answer Remus needed before dragging her out of the common room and down to the kitchens.