thirty one

11:30 pm, 11th August, 1978

Harper's drowsy eyes flickered open but there was no light in the room

was no light in the room. She rolled onto her back lazily and her gaze moved up to the ceiling.

This wasn't her home.

Harper sat upright in the bed, her eyes adjusting and her brain finally turned on.
She wasn't at home. She was at the Lupin's.

She peered out of the bedroom window, noticing the stars that laced the night sky and the lack of any moon - let alone a full moon. Not that Harper needed to check that; she knew the cycle of the full moon off by heart for the next year and a half.

Harper climbed out of bed and decided to go in search of Remus. She had no idea what time it was and when she walked out into the fall corridor of the house, she was almost certain Hope and Lyall Lupin were asleep.

Hesitantly, she crept down the stairs, tiptoeing over the loose floorboards and brushing past the creaky doors. Just as she was about to give up and search upstairs again, Harper noticed Remus through the window of the front door.

"Re?" She questioned quietly as she poked her head around the front door.
Remus sat on the step outside holding a mug of coffee in his hands as he stared up at the sky.

He jumped upon hearing her, "Merlin... Harp..." Remus held a hand up to his chest.

"What're you doing out here? It's cold." Harper sat down beside him on the step, stretching out her legs in front of her.

Remus rested his head on Harper's shoulder, focussing his gaze forwards.

"I haven't been outside in a week." He admitted, "They keep getting worse and it takes me longer to recover... What happens if they get so bad I never get better?"

Harper didn't know what to say. Remus didn't expect her to. In truth he didn't want advice or sympathy, he just wanted some company. So that's what she was - company. The two sat in comfortable silence for a while, simply allowing time to pass and the world to keep turning.

"I've only just now noticed how much longer your legs are than mine." Harper spoke quietly, placing her hand on Remus' leg.
"What?"
"I mean you've always been taller than me but... have you grown? Like, a lot?" She turned to look at him.

"What would I know? I've been lying down the whole time." Remus shrugged.

Harper leapt to her feet, straightening herself up, "Well stand up then." She said.
Remus sighed before taking Harper's hand and lifting himself up and standing high above her. She had been correct, he'd grown an awful lot. The boy had always been tall but at this point it was getting ridiculous.

"You're like the size of my hand." Remus chuckled, holding up his hand in comparison to Harper's head.
"Alright Bigfoot." Harper grumbled, "I'm starting to regret making you stand up now."

"I always thought the whole weather difference joke was a bit stupid but I get it now." Remus nodded, leaning his elbow on Harper's shoulder with a mischievous grin.
Harper grumbled something inaudible under her breath.

"You're going to have to speak up; I can't hear you all the way down there." Remus chuckled.

Harper rolled her eyes, "You know I thinks it's time I went home."
"Oh I'm only joking." Remus smirked.

"I know. Honestly, I just think my mum can only handle me vanishing for so long at a time." Harper pointed out.
"Harp," Remus began, "It's not like she doesn't know you're here. My parents honestly wouldn't mind if you stayed for a bit. You can't really want to go home."

Harper pursed her lips, she didn't really want to go home. She wasn't about to admit this though. "I just really think I should be with my mum whilst my grandparents are over. I'll visit soon though. And owl you all the time." Harper smiled up at Remus, trying to convince him to agree with her.

"Whatever you think is best." Remus shrugged, giving in.

"You alright heading back inside?" Harper asked tentatively. She knew Remus hated to be treated as if he were weak, but the truth was Remus was weak in the aftermath of his transformations.
"It's fine. I'm fine." Remus gritted his teeth as he held himself up against the front door.

"I'll be back soon. Promise." Harper nodded, taking Remus' hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze.
"Better be. I think my parents have surpassed boring at this point." Remus smiled as he leant down and kissed Harper.

"See you." Harper nodded once before swiftly disapparating away. The crack of the spell echoed out into the day and Remus stared at the empty space where Harper had previously been stood.

"Love you." He mumbled before slowly stepping back inside.