Chapter 2: Little White Lies UPDATED 1/25/2015 with deleted scene!

Setting: Arrowverse: Post 2x14 AU in the Arrowverse. Flashverse: First season through 1x8. Marvelverse: About a year post Avengers and the end of CA: The First Avenger. This chapter is pre-CA: TWS.

I do not own these characters or properties nor do I profit from this work. All rights, all characters and any and all quotes are owned or attributed to DC and Marvel, respectively. More notes and thanks at the end.

  Song: Little White Lies: perf. Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra (1937)

 (See the end of the chapter for more notes and thanks.)

Chapter 2: Little White Lies

Steve ducked beneath the sun-faded pastel umbrella covering the patio table, narrowly avoiding a fringe of dripping water from the afternoon's rain. Over Felicity's protests, he'd spread his overcoat on the wet metal bench for her to sit upon. Now, she perched on one end, phone in one hand, her free hand worrying at her thin, gold necklace as she studied the screen. As he sat down beside her, she jolted upright and hurriedly swiped away whatever she'd been reading.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

"Yes. It's. A project. I was catching up on it. For...work. I didn't mean to be rude." She stuffed the phone into her handbag as she spoke, her words coming out in short rapid-fire bursts.

"No, no, you're fine." He didn't know what had unnerved her, but at least she was putting her phone away. The couples Steve saw in restaurants and coffee shops often seemed more interested in their phones than in each other. Yet another change in manners to which he thought he'd never adapt. "Here you go, ma'am. One scoop of Scout mint chip."

With a heartfelt sigh, she leaned over to take the dish from him. He tried not to let his eyes widen and failed. The back of her dress made up for the fairly modest front, creamy skin peeking between a latticework of scarlet straps. He wasn't sure whether to be relieved or disappointed when she straightened up again.

"You," she declared, "are a total hero and a lifesaver."

Steve did a double take at the phrase, but her expression wasn't the starstruck one he'd come to dread. Sometimes, that look led to embarrassing situations, including random body parts being bared for his autograph. To his amusement, she was eyeing the ice cream as if it was the only bottle of water within a hundred miles during midday in the Sahara.

"Oh, I am? Just for ice cream?"

"I am a stress eater. This is the best mint chocolate ice cream on Earth. There's no such thing as just when it comes to regular mint chip, much less Molly Moon's. And before that? You got us off the Titanic." She pointed at him with her spoon. "Scratch that. Compared to that shipwreck? Being on the Titanic would have been a pleasure cruise. So yes. You are a hero." She checked herself, then hastened on. "Er...for...doing all that, I mean. Thank you."

Despite his own still-jangling nerves, Steve found himself smiling. "Glad to be of service, ma'am. I've got to hand it to you, too. For a lady in high heels, you run great evasive maneuvers." Toasting her with his own cone, he bit into the top scoop.

"I work for a billionaire who's constantly pursued by the press or the paparazzi. You learn to run and hide or else." She grimaced in disgust. "You're terrific at blocking and covering, though. Without you, the happy hour crowd in the main bar would have been too handsy for me to manage. I can't believe you managed to talk the coordinator into letting us go, either. Not with all the fuss she made at the beginning about nobody being allowed to leave early."

"Guess I got lucky," Steve said, wincing inwardly at the evasion. He'd taken advantage of the confusion during the table changes to slip them out of the lounge. They'd nearly made it out of the bar without their escape being noticed, but the event coordinator had caught him inside the main door and asked for an autograph for her little boy. He never minded doing that kind of thing for kids, but the timing couldn't have been worse.