25: Give Back

The start of the autumn season came with bright blue skies, and deadly consequences for the people of Gotham. A brisk air settled in over the city as though it knew what was coming, as if the weather anticipated the bloodshed and the horrors that were inevitable. Along with the cold, the high pitch tone of the American anthem played over speakers; the young boy who was singing it could not have been older than twelve, his voice not having dropped yet.

There was thunderous applause when the singing concluded, and then the football game began. Cheering was all that could really be heard, the crowd out of hand, whooping it up for their favourite team. They spent hundreds on tickets, drinks, food, even parking cost at least ten dollars. People were starving, stealing food just to make it through the day, and everyone here threw their money away for what? To watch a few men kick a ball around.

Bane held the detonator across from Bría, his thumb smoothed over the red button, and then he paused. Handing it to Bría, he surprised her once again. He was really pushing her to see how far she would go, for she had told him that she would go ask far as he would take her. It was only just beginning, but the darkness was seeping out of her and needed an outlet. He was that outlet, the reckoning of Gotham City was her outlet. And so this is why he chose to give her the detonator, she would be the one to start it all.

She reached over and grasped it in her hand, then stepped up to Bane so that she was close to him. This time, she was surprising him. She pressed her hand to his chest, the tactical vest firm and somehow resembling the protection that he had always offered her. She hooked her fingers into the top of the vest, lifted herself onto her tip toes, and kissed Bane's masked cheek. The carnal look in her eyes was enough to make him remain blank, stunned. And then she forcefully pushed the button, as though she had been building up so much anger and rage and was finally able to release it.

All throughout the city, the explosions were set off. Cars were blown off of the road, cops were trapped in the tunnels as they foolishly tried to smoke out Bane, falling right into the very mouse trap that he had set up for them. He was, all in all, a brilliant man. He played on the predictability of the masses, and he had been correct in every guess thus far.

Bría breathed out, for she had not known she had been holding her breath. That's when the screams sounded, all the thousands of people in the stands who had no idea what was going on. They'd witnessed the whole football field collapse, and then the mayor's private viewing box blew to pieces too.

Bría, Bane, his men and Dr. Pavel walked onto what remained of the football field.

Bane grabbed the headset off of a dead man, and held it to his mouth.

His speech kicked off.

"Gotham! Take control..." he began. "Take control of your city."

He waved like he was a famous actor, as if the masses were there for him.

Bría had never had so many eyes on her, and for once she didn't feel nervous. Though they were finally exposed, revealing to the world who they were and what they were planning on doing, there was no risk. Every single cop was trapped, there was no one left to stop them. Behind them, the bomb was being brought out.

"This..." Bane said, beckoning over Dr. Pavel as he spoke. "This is the instrument of your liberation."

Dr. Pavel was brought to Bane, forced on his knees. Bane loomed over him threateningly, "Identify yourself to the world."

After having the headset shoved towards him, Dr. Pavel said, "Dr. Leonard Pavel... Nuclear physicist."

"And what..." Bane pointed at the large bomb. "What is this?"

"A fully primed neutron bomb, with a blast radius of six miles," Dr. Pavel explained with a waver in his voice. He was scared, he knew his importance, and he knew how Bane saw him now. A threat to the plan, but vital to the current moment. Vital in bringing forth the fear.

"And who is capable of disarming such a device?" Bane inquired.

Dr. Pavel shook his head, "Only me."

"Only you," Bane added for emphasis, should anyone listening not understand the importance of this man. "Thank you, good doctor."

Bane, in front of thousands of eyes, children's included, snapped Dr. Pavel's neck. This sight not longer bothered Bría, she simply watched with a curiousity, wondering how it was even possible for a man to do such a thing. His physical strength was frightful to all, and he showed that right then.

"Now, this bomb is armed!" Bane announced as though he hadn't just killed a man in front of everyone. "This bomb is mobile. And the identity of the triggerman is a mystery. For one of you holds the detonator. Now we come here not as conquerors, but as liberators, to return control of this city to the people. And at the first sign of interference's from the outside world, or from those people attempting to flee, this anonymous Gothamite, this unsung hero, will trigger the bomb.

"For now Martial Law is in effect. Return to your homes, hold your families close, and wait. Tomorrow you claim what is rightfully yours." He paused, then threw the headset down and walked back towards the underbelly of the football stadium. Bane reached out and swept Bría along with him as he disappeared, and together they disappeared from sight, leaving behind them only fear in their wake.

Every day she felt more powerful, every day she felt that change inside of her, like something that had been hidden was finally returning. When Bane gave the city back to the people, he was also giving Bría back a part of her that had been locked away so tightly that not even she understood it. What was this darkness inside of her, where had it come from? She knew who would have the answers, her mother, but she dared not phone her.

She knew he mother would have seen this broadcast, or would soon, and she would see Bría standing next to men with guns, bombs, standing next to Bane.

She hated to disappoint her mother, but she had to embrace what she was. 

Not a single comment on the last chapter :'( You guys hurt me :P