34: Questioning His Fate

Bría looked down at her stomach, the layers of clothing that she had worn were a darker black, the knife that was protruding out of her stomach was simple. Her blood stained the silver of the blade, the inch of it that wasn't thrust deep inside of her gut. Bría wrapped her fingers around the hilt, ensuring that the blade stayed inside of her. Her eyes lifted and she looked up at her assailant; Miranda Tate. She had suspected Miranda Tate had a hand in all of this, and now she knew.

"Why?" Bría croaked, her voice a shattered whisper.

"You were nothing more than a distraction, I should have killed you a long time ago," she leaned in and harshly whispered the words in Bría's ear. She could feel the warmth of her breath on her neck, the very skin Bane had touched just the night before.

Bría stumbled back, trying to get away from Miranda. She knew that if she could get to the right equipment, she could stop the bleeding and save herself. Bría also knew that Miranda could easily swipe the knife back, and that would be where it became fatal. Tripping, Bría fell to the ground with a gasp, pain throughout her chest when she hit the ground on her back, gasping for air that refused to enter her lungs.

When she finally managed to breathe, Miranda was standing over her, and she crouched down. Her gloved hand gripped the blade, and she removed it slowly. As she held it before her, the blood dripped over Bría's throat and chin. Her gasps deepened, her struggle to survive increased, though her chances plummeted. She moved her hand over her stomach, pressing hard against the wound, and Miranda didn't stop her from trying to stay alive.

"You can try to take him from me, and maybe you succeeded, but his loyalties will always lie with me," she leaned down and whispered this into Bría's ear, making sure she heard her scathing tone.

"Today that bomb will go off, you could never have stopped that, stopped him," Miranda growled.

Bría grimaced, blood in the back of her throat now. "I never in-intended to..."

"I could see him questioning, questioning my fate, his fate."

Miranda used the fabric of Bría's jacket to wipe the blood from the blade, cleaning it so that it was shiny and silver once again. The scent of blood filled the room, Bría's hand was covered in it now. The pain had turned into cold, which was never a good sign. She kept her eyes trained on Miranda, making sure she wasn't going to finish the job.

For Bría only had one goal now, and that was to make sure Bane knew who he was working for, and what she had done. It would pain him, yes, but he deserved to know that he had been stabbed in the back. Miranda left the room, her gentle footsteps receding behind the door, leaving Bría alone and able to groan in agony.

She reached her free arm up and gripped the bottom of the couch, then dragged herself over to it. Grabbing blindly, she managed to grip a throw blanket, and while it was not as sterile as she would have wanted, it was clean enough. Pressing the snow-white blanket to her wound, she cried out, and then shifted her whole body. Dragging herself into a seated position, not without crying out, she leaned against the side of the couch and held that blanket tighter.

Damn these pent houses being so large, the bathroom was so very far away.

She half crawled, half dragged herself to the kitchen instead.

Using the strength she had in her, that survival instinct kicking in, she pulled herself up to a crooked stand, leaning against the counter for support the whole time. She flicked on the stove top, and then grabbed the largest, cleanest blade from the knife block. Holding it above the hot stove, she watched as it began to glow, and that's when she dropped the blanket and lifted her shirt, wavering slightly, terrified of what she was going to have to do.

She brought the blade to her wound, and screamed at is burned through her flesh, closing the wound. It would not close what was ruined inside of her, no, but she would not bleed out. The knife fell from her hand and clattered to the ground, and then she wavered, leaning against the counter, and slid down it before she lost consciousness from the pain.

Yikes, well I think some of you saw that coming. I know someone mentioned Talia hurting her. There is still one chapter left plus the epilogue, both of which are written and completed! I'm so happy that this story got any attention, let alone the amazing feedback and reliable voters/commenters! I really enjoy seeing your guy's thoughts, you've been some of the best readers, and I'm so happy to see some of you on Allure!