II. Meeting Moriarty

Sherlock continued, ''I had my chance, and, starting from that point, I have woven my net around him, until now, it is all ready to close. Now, if I could have done this without the knowledge of Professor Moriarty, all would have been well. But he is too smart for that. He saw every step I took to draw my toils around him. Again and again, he strove to break away, but I as often headed him off. I tell you two, that if a detailed account of that silent fight could be written, it would take its place at the most brilliant bit of thrust and parry work in the history of detection. Never had I been so hard pressed by an opponent. He cuts deep, and yet I undercut him. This morning, the last steps were taken and three days only were wanted to complete the business. After Y/n left to visit you early this morning, I arrived home. I was sitting in my room, thinking over the matter, when the door opened and Professor Moriarty stood before me. My nerves are fairly proof, but I must confess to the two of you, that when the man standing there on my threshold I felt a bit uneasy. He peered me with great curiosity puckered eyes.

'You have less frontal development than I should have expected. It is a dangerous habit to finger loaded firearms in your pocket.' said Moriarty.

You came in, ''Wait a second, Sherlock, you had a revolver in your pocket?''

''Yes, I did. The fact is that upon his entrance I instantly recognized the extreme danger in which I lay. In an instant, I had slipped the revolver from the drawer in my pocket. At his remark I drew the weapon out and placed it on the coffee table. He still smiled and blinked, but there was something about his eyes which made me feel very glad that I had the revolver there.''

'You evidently don't know me.' Moriarty had said.

'On the contrary, it's fairly evident that I do. Pray take a chair. I can spare you five minutes if you have anything to say.' I told him.

'All that I have to say has already crossed your mind'

'Then possibly my answer crossed yours' I commented

'You stand fast?'

'Absolutely'

He clapped his hand into his pocket, and I raised the gun from the table. But he merely drew out a memorandum book in which were scribbled some dates.

'You crossed my path on the 4th of January, on the 23rd you incommoded me, by the middle of February I was seriously inconvenienced by you, at the end of March I was homped in my plans, and now, by the end of April, I find myself in such a position through your continual persecution that I am in positive danger of losing my freedom. This situation is becoming impossible.' Moriarty concluded.

'Do you have any suggestions ?' I asked

'You must drop it Mr. Holmes, you really must'

'After Monday.'

'I am quite sure that a man of your intelligence will see that there can be but one outcome to this affair. It is necessary for you to withdraw. You have worked things in such manner that we have only one resource left. It will turn out to be bloody. You smile sir, but I assure you that it really would. Wouldn't it be a shame to endanger the first woman detective in the world, your dear Miss Y/L/N and Dr. Watson?' he asked.

'Danger is part of our trade', I told him.

'This is not danger, this is inevitable destruction. You stand in the way of an individual but mighty organisation, the full extent of which you, with all your cleverness have been unable to realize. You must stand away, or be trodden under foot.' he had appealed.

'I am afraid that in the pleasure of this conversation I am neglecting business of higher importance that wait me elsewhere.' I concluded the conversation.

He looked at me in silence, shaking his head sadly.

'Well, well, it seems a pity, but I have done what I could. I know every move of your game. You can do nothing before Monday. It has been a duel between you and me. You hope to place me in the dock. I tell you that I will never stand in the dock. You hope to beat me. I tell you that you will never beat me.' said he and went out of the room. And that was my first meeting with the famous, yet unknown, Professor Moriarty.'' Sherlock said.

''Have you been assaulted? You are injured.'' you said, worry in your voice, as you took his injured hand in your hands and looked him deep in the eyes.

Watson knew what was going on. He knew there was an attraction between you and the famous detective, so he let the two of you have that moment, while you were silently staring in each other's eyes.

He finally coughed, breaking the 'spell' and making you let go of his hand.

''The story?'' Watson asked, containing his laugh.

''Ah, yes. I almost forgot.'' he admitted, sending you a look, before closing his eyes and connecting his fingertips.

''As to Y/N's question, my dear, Moriarty is not a man to let the grass grow under his feet. I went our about midday to transact some business at Oxford street. As I passed the corner to Beatnick street, a two horse van furiously driven round and was about to hit me. I sprang for the foot path and saved my life by the fraction of a second. The van dashed round by Marylebon Lane and was gone in an instant. I kept the pavement after that and reached my brother's room at Pall Mall, where I spent the day. Now I have come round to you, and on my way I was attacked by a gentleman with a bludgeon. I knocked him down, and the police have him in custody.'' Sherlock ended the story.

''Will you two spend the night here? You and Y/N are in great danger at Baker street'', Watson finally spoke.

''No, my friend.'' Sherlock denied, ''I might be a dangerous guest. But Y/N is not. If that's alright, she will stay here for her own safety.''

''Of course it is alright.'' Watson assured.

You didn't want to spend the night at Watson's house, but you knew Sherlock was right.

''Don't worry. I have all my plans laid and everything will end well.'' Sherlock told you.

''Can you tell us your plans?'' you asked.

Sherlock opened his eyes and looked at you.

''Of course.''

------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1123