Just Friends...

(Newt x Male!Reader)
A/N: So I received this request ages ago from @piesareawesome and I feel awful that I haven't gotten around to writing it until now, he was super nice and everything, and yeah so I hope you like this, being female I'm not really the best at writing from a dude's perspective so bear with me. Enjoy!

We sat on the boat, waiting out the last few minutes before the next great adventure in the United States. Newt had an eagerness for what's ahead about him that was almost too cute to handle, the way you could read his emotion based solely on his eyes was one of your favorite things about him, and the way his hair fell into his face when he looked down and smiled was almost too much. I'm pulled out of my thoughts when we arrive to the dock and he grabs my arm to pull me out of the seat.
"Y/N, are you alright?" He said once you were standing.
"Uh- yeah I'm totally fine, just thinking I guess." You replied looking down in embarrassment before grabbing you things from the bench and starting to walk.
"May I ask what you were thinking about?"
"I- uh- just what's in store for us the next couple of weeks." You replied but he didn't look to convinced, luckily you were at the luggage check before he could question you.
After you made it through the check, somewhat begrudgingly one would say, the two of you made your way towards the center of the city. You walked past many people from all walks of life, much different from what you had seen in all of your other traveling excursions. Even a woman who was yelling horrible things about magic and how it's poisoning society. The two of you stopped to listen to this woman speak along with the rather large crowd she had gathered. She even said something to Newt, which you couldn't hear due to the fact that you could not stop looking at the boy standing beside her handing out leaflets with a look on his face you knew all too well, you could see the welt marks on his hands that matched the scars on your own from parents who could never understand a boy who liked another.
"Y/N!" Newt nearly yelled as he touched your shoulder, you were staring and you'd lost track of time, "are you sure you're okay? What's really going on?"
"Nothing, nothing, I'm just keep getting lost thinking." You tried to play it off as if it was nothing but it was most definitely something, and he knew, you could tell, but he must not care enough to try because he starts running in the other direction into the bank the woman is yelling if front of. Without hesitation you began running after him.
When you walk into the bank you see him sitting next to a friendly-looking man with a case almost identical to his own. He is staring intently at the bottom of a cabinet, you follow his gaze and see the niffler sitting there stuffing itself with coins and jewels, so you sprint to the cabinet and grab the niffler before it can escape your grasp.
Newt jolts up out of his seat and opens his case in time for you to put the niffler safely back in the case. You glance up at Newt but his head is already turned away from you, towards the friendly man he was sitting next to. The man yells something about an egg and you almost pass out.
"Newt, you gave this muggle an Occamy Egg!"
"Well the funny thing about that is..." The two of you started running towards the man and grabbed yours and the man's arms and apparated into a hallway.
**Time Skip in honor of my sanity**
Tina sat across from you at the table, staring you down as if you were a criminal of an unimaginable crime, when in all actuality you were only an accomplice in the smuggling of multiple magical creatures across nations. She knew the way you looked at Newt and could see the look in your eyes whenever you saw him enter the room, you were just wondering if she would tell him.
You excused yourself from the dining room and rushed to the bathroom, you splashed water on your face and looked into the mirror. A knock came to the door, cleaning the water off of your face before opening the door, expecting it to be Tina but instead it was her sister.
"I know how you feel about him." She said, with a knowing smile.
"I don't know what your talking about." You said before rushing out of the bathroom and back into the hallway leading to the dining room.
She followed you out and stopped in front of you. "There's nothing wrong with it you know."
"Yes there is" you countered trying to get around her. "He is my best friend and he's probably in love with your sister, she's all he ever talks about."
"Well she's not the one he's always thinking about."
"What do you mean?" The room slowly becoming increasingly warm.
"C'mon Y/N isn't it obvious, he has always cared about you, a little more than just a friend should."
"Queenie there is no way I can just go up to him and tell him how I feel, and there's no way he's going to tell me anything, I might as well just get over it now." You said lowering you eyes
"You think to much just go for it, honey, and you won't be disappointed, I promise."
You looked up at her and could tell from her overly reassuring look that she wasn't going to let you get out of this. You took a deep breath, "you know what, I've got nothing to lose anyways, only my best friend and my job and..." you trailed on not knowing why you had started out so courageous.
"But remember how much you have to gain, you have to look at what's more important to you, and go from there." She said, walking back into the dining room with a small smile.
You went over her words and decided what was best.
*Time skip through a lovely dinner and strudel afterwards*
You walked through the case making your daily rounds, feeding and brushing and cleaning your way through, when you saw Newt standing next to the water reservoir that held most of the aquatic creatures living in the case. Your courage had been scarce for the past weeks but with Queenie's words of encouragement coursing through your brain you knew that you'd only have a few moments of this recklessness to do what needed to be done. You began walking hastily towards him and yelling words of encouragement at yourself in your head, as you reached the last few steps in the longest walk of your life, Newt turned to you.
"Y/N, what is it?" He asked, in that moment you nearly lost every scrap of bravery you had left, but clung to the last shred so you could say what needed to be said.
"Newt there is something I've wanted to say to you for years." You started
"Yes?"
Looking over his shoulder instead of at him was what you deemed best for getting out what you were about to say, "I'm gay" you began, holding back as much emotion as possible, "and I've had a crush on you for a really long time."
Newt looked shocked and when you looked at him at last, he seemed to find your left shoulder very interesting.
"And I know that's probably the last thing you wanted to hear but I just wanted you to know, before I leave." You said, suddenly giving yourself an out as you were holding back tears.
"What do you mean leave?" He said, hurt.
"I just thought it'd be easier if I left because of how awkward it's be between us if I stayed." You said looking down.
"Y/N I'm one of the most awkward people you'd ever meet things are going to be awkward between us no matter what."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, that I've liked you since the moment I saw you, it's one of the reasons I asked you to work with me, I thought I'd win you over." He said finally meeting your eyes.
"Well, I guess you won." You said laughing awkwardly.
"I guess I did." He replied, smiling
"What does this mean?"
"I don't know." He said looking at his feet again, when he looked up again he seemed to have decided something, "but I guess it means I can do this." He said, kissing you before he could think of a reason to stop himself. You were at first surprised but it took you no time to kiss him back, a smile forming on your lips.
————————————————————————
You broke apart both smiling like idiots before you pushed him into the reservoir you were standing next to. He rose to the surface pushing his hair out of his face and gasping for breath.
"What was that for?" He exclaimed
"For making me worry that you were going to shoot me down!" You replied
He huffed and laugh, hoarse from taking in water, before he grabbed your leg and pulled you in with him. When you came to the surface you gasped for breath.
"There now we're even."
"Not yet." You countered before grabbing him by the back of the neck and smashing your lips into his, after a few moments you parted, needing air, "Now we're even." You smiled

A/N: Hey guys, guess what? I really am alive, yay! So I really hope you liked this one, this is my first time ever trying a fic like this one so I hope that I will get more chances in the future to get better at writing them! I always take requests and I'm currently working on a few that I've gotten. This book has really taken off and I'm so happy with it. Thank you for all the love and support that you guys are giving me. 77k? That's crazy. Love you all!
-Lily<3