Part 11

Jordan recounted the past few hours as she rode on the tiger's back. They had spent about an hour just lying on the sand while Jordan stroked his plush fur, and when she became hungry the tiger allowed her to climb onto his back to reach some peaches sagging from a tree branch. They spent some time near a stream; while he drank Jordan decided to name him, but he didn't seem to like anything she offered. Whenever Jordan would start walking, the tiger would roughly nudge her in the back with his giant head making it clear he wanted to carry her.

And so now they were idling through the thick tree trunks, under ginormous roots cascading over the jungle floor, and occasionally leaping over small river beds. The tiger had no intention of leaving Jordan, and she was okay with that. As long as she wasn't on the menu, the beast could stay, plus he was a gorgeous animal. With his think orange fur, black stripes as long as her arm, paws the size of her head, and golden eyes, he was a dangerous show stopper and he knew it too. Jordan had never met a creature with so much pride; he practically defined the word king.

Jordan was getting sleepy from the rhythmic swaying of the tiger's steps, but she snapped back into focus when she saw the smoke from the village huts rising in the sky. She pulled on the fur of his neck, panic swelling in the pit of her stomach. "No! They'll kill you!" but he just seemed to scoff over his shoulder like he knew what he was doing and he picked up his pace; turning it into a run. With every leap he took, Jordan felt like she would be jerked off at any second. How terribly uncomfortable it is to ride a giant wild tiger. As they broke through the tree line, Jordan heard the screams of many people; she realized that tigers are probably not the best thing to come leaping out of the woods unannounced.

Humans and aliens scattered as the tiger made a direct path to one in particular. Jordan's stomach dropped as she recognized the feathery head dress. The tiger briskly ran to the chief and Jordan prepared for the worst, but instead of the tiger attacking anyone, he simply stopped and stared at the chief. Jordan was awe struck; the chief stared right back at the tiger, a smile pulled at the corner of his lips. "I was not mistaken." He barely whispered as he bowed his head. The collective crowd of people around them did likewise. In confusion, Jordan slid down the tiger's side and walked to his head, fondly reaching for the furry beard under his chin to place her hand. "I take it you and the tiger have met?" The people raised their heads and the chief smirked. "You mean Byron the Mighty? Yes we have met." He paused. "An old legend once told us that whoever masters the mighty king of the jungle would one day save us from the metal ones."

"Once again the gods have proved that you are our savior, Jordan." Jordan was silent, trying to comprehend what this man had just presented her. "His name is Byron?" was all she could come up with. A small chuckle answered her from behind. "It's your necklace." Jordan turned and was greeted by the warm face of Dr. Lectus. "He recognizes the pendant on your necklace. Probably from the many hours he's spent praising his own reflection, no doubt. You see, Jordan, Byron is said to be a very proud creature who does as he pleases, takes orders from no one, and delights in taunting others with his beauty. I bet you complimented him, gave him attention, and flattered him?"

Jordan nodded. "Yeah, with teeth like his, I had no other choice." Lectus laughed. "A fine warrior he is; he snuck in every night for a week and devoured an entire herd of goats." He walked to Byron and patted his shoulder- that was as far as he could reach, Byron towered a foot or two above everyone's head- Jordan could almost feel the satisfaction radiate from the tiger. "He loves praise, anything to make his ego bigger, but insult him," Lectus shook his head, "And you won't even get to finish your sentence."

There was a few seconds of silence as everyone marveled Byron. "Can we touch him?" a small voice spoke from somewhere in the crowd. Jordan looked at Byron, and he snorted as if saying 'Of course. Adore me if you must'. Slowly, the village people crept closer, but soon enough hundreds of hands were straining to pet him, to glide over his beautiful coat, and laughter even escaped the few children brave enough to approach him. Byron looked so dignified, standing there as thousands of people waited to touch the almighty giant, and he stood there patiently until every last person - human and alien alike- had finished.

"I bet you're hungry?" she asked, and Byron flicked his tail in response. "Go eat something. But make sure it doesn't live in this village." He looked at her, seeming to say ' oh please, you all taste horrible anyway.' Before turning and striding back into the trees. "He'll come back won't he?" she asked Lectus. "Of course, you've mastered him, created a bond that cannot be broken, similar to imprinting. I imagine Byron will be very protective of you, maybe even take insults from you." He paused. "I'd keep him and that Charlie fellow separated, I don't think Byron would be too fond of you having someone that intimidating around." Lectus chuckled and began walking away, but suddenly he stopped and turned to face Jordan. they were alone in what seemed like a court yard, everyone else was inside the village, probably getting ready for another bon fire.

"Jordan?" he said it solemnly, looking first at his hands, then rising to look at her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left you all alone for so long. I-" he paused and took a breath, filling Jordan with disbelief. "I guess I felt so guilty I thought you didn't want to see me ever again and, I don't know. I made a mistake and I don't want to see that pained look in your eyes every time I see you." He stepped closer, the wind fluttering his beard. He held out his hand. "I offer my sincerest condolences." Jordan paused, then reached and shook his hand. "I accept them." She smiled as they walked towards the fire together. The unspoken words remained unspoken, but they both could feel them: I missed you.