05 ; sister, sister

05 SISTER, SISTER

"I thought I'd escaped this place when I graduated," Elise frowned as she made her way into the school parking lot. The swarm of fireflies dissipated before her until only one remained, flitting through the air until it landed on the brunette's hand. Elise twitched her fingers slightly, prompting the insect to fly away into the night before she returned her eyes to the school. This had to be where Boyd and the girl he was with were heading. She looked around the parking lot, expecting to find it empty. To Elise's displeasure, a single, red car sat in the front row of parking places.

"Shit," Elise grimaced. If they were to get to the school when someone was still inside, then it was game over. She frantically reached for her pocket, only to find it empty. I must've left my phone at the loft, she guessed.

With only slight hesitation, she took off toward the school.

It seemed that the past months of sneaking around had come in handy, after all. Elise's footsteps were silent as she made her way through the halls. She reached out, trying to sense anyone else's presence in the halls. It was weak, but she could swear that it was there. Somewhere near the end of the hall, she heard the sound of a door opening. Elise quickened her pace, reaching the end of the hall just as the door to the filing room that the school used as a storage space began to swing closed.

She grabbed it just before it closed, cracking it open just enough for her to slip through. She kicked off one of her boots and placed it between the door and the frame, knowing that many of the school's doors locked automatically one they'd closed. She was here to get whoever was still at the school out, not to get locked in herself.

Elise peered down the aisles of metal shelves, spotting a woman grabbing stacks of paper. She looked to be a teacher, but she wasn't one that Elise recognized. The brunette began to move forward, trying to remain quiet. She didn't notice the box sticking out from one of the lower shelves and her shin connected with it accidentally, knocking it off of the shelf. It landed with a loud thump that echoed through the room.

The woman at the end of the aisle began to turn around, but Elise closed the distance between them in two long strides and clamped a hand over the woman's mouth. She had light brown hair that fell to her shoulders and dark brown eyes that were wide with terror.

"Listen, I'm not going to hurt you. I'm here to get you out of here," Elise whispered hurriedly. "If I move my hand, do you promise not to scream?" The woman nodded and Elise slowly removed her hand from where it was silencing her.

"Who are you?" the woman asked, not bothering to lower her voice. "Are you a student?"

Elise shook her head. "That's not important right now. Trust me, we need to get out of here. There are some really dangerous people on the loose right now and they're headed this way." The woman's eyes widened slightly in horror, clearly believing the brunette. Elise was slightly shocked how easy it had been to convince her. A metallic clang sounded from somewhere in the shadows across the room. It had to be them. Elise hissed, "They're here."

Suddenly, a growl reverberated from within the shadows, and the women jumped in shock. "We need to leave," Elise hissed, pushing the woman ahead of her. The teacher nodded, visibly terrified as she neared the door.

"Wait, I forgot my papers-"

"I'll grab them," Elise hissed, frustrated that the woman couldn't see the imminent danger that the pair were in. The second that she turned around, though, she heard the door to the supply closet click shut. "Wait!" Elise gasped, rushing over to it.

She could hear the woman struggle as she tried to open the door from her side. "It's stuck!" she exclaimed. "I- I can't get it open!"

Something seemed off about the situation. The only way that the door could have closed is if the woman had moved the shoe Elise had placed there to prevent it from locking into place. Elise figured that it had been an accident, as the woman definitely didn't seem like someone that would lock another human being in a boiler room when there was clearly something dangerous down there.