31 ; natural scenery or ritualistic sacrifices?

31 NATURAL SCENERY OR RITUALISTIC SACRIFICES?

"You have got to be kidding me," Elise protested as she followed Stiles down the stairs. He'd insisted that they call Noshiko, Kira's mother, to help decide if he were truly himself. "Do you have any idea how dangerous this is?!"

"It's the only way," Stiles frowned as they neared he neared the living room, the three McCalls hot on his heels.

The four of them skidded to a stop as they entered the living room, coming face to face with Kira and Noshiko. "Do you recognize me?" the woman inquired, her brows quirked knowingly.

Before Stiles could reply, the sound of the McCall's front door swinging open drew everyone's attention. Kira stormed into the room, a worried expression written across her face as she neared her mother. "Stop!" She insisted.

"It's okay," Stiles sighed. "I'm the one that asked her to come."

Kira's eyes widened slightly as she appraised the boy. "And you're also the one that's going to get stabbed with swords!" Her expression softened only slightly when she turned to her mother. Her voice became something between a plea and a harsh order as she spoke again. "Mom, call it off. He's been through enough!"

"It's already done," Noshiko replied.

Before the words had even left her mouth, the shadowy figures of the Oni appeared around the pale boy. Elise dug her nails into the palm of her hand, resisting every instinct in her body that told her to run in front of Stiles. If it's really him, he'll be fine, she reassured herself. That was the plan, at least. For all Elise knew, the Oni might simply kill Stiles for good measure.

One of the Oni reached out, grasping Stiles by the side of his face. Even though it was likely only a few seconds, it seemed like an eternity as the ONi's eyes began to glow a vivid shade of yellow. Elise could feel her shifting in her spot between her two children as she grasped Elise's hand. The young brunette shifted her eyes to her mother, finding that she had grabbed Scott's hand, as well. Whether it was to hold her children back or to help Melissa herself resist the urge to run to Stiles, Elise wasn't quite sure.

Then, it was over nearly as soon as it had begun. The Oni released Stiles and stepped back into the shadows as it disappeared.

"Check behind his ear for the mark," Noshiko instructed, prompting everyone else to rush forward to Stiles' side. Elise helped him sit slightly as Scott peered behind his ear.

"It's there," Scott said.

Stiles shivered slightly in Elise's arms as he sighed in relief. "Does that mean I'm myself?"

Noshiko nodded slightly. "More you than the Nogitsune, at least."

"Can the Oni find him?" Elise inquired.

"Not yet," Noshiko frowned. "It's to close to sunrise. They'll begin their search tomorrow night."

"Can they kill him?" Stiles interjected.

"That depends on how strong he's grown."

"And Lydia? Why would he take her? Will she be okay until tomorrow night?" Scott asked frantically.

"He would only take her for an advantage," Noshiko explained. "The power of a Banshee."

Elise sighed softly as she pulled her car into the parking lot of the police station. They'd managed to repair enough of the station to keep it up and running since the explosion, but she knew that the officers inside were stretched thin trying to keep up with their absent comrades. Luckily, most of the people injured in the explosion were in recovery, but some hadn't made it out of the station alive. In the light of the barely rising sun, it looked even more ominous.