Chapter 6: Future

"Stop, don't take him!"

"Who the fuck are you?!"

Iwaizumi watched as a kid came barreling through the bushes to grab at his arm, his face set in intense concentration. The man who was holding onto Iwaizumi's arm recoiled a little at the boy's sudden appearance.

"Fuck off, kid, or else you'll get hurt too!"

The kid side-stepped, dodging the man's lunge towards him and heading towards where Iwaizumi was tied up on the floor, his small, battered body a few feet away from the black vehicle. The three of them were outside in a secluded area, a few trees swaying with the wind and the sun beating down a little too cheerily for the situation.

"Iwa-chan," the child panted, trying to free Iwaizumi from the restraints. "Does it hurt, Iwa-chan? I'll save you, Iwa-chan!"

Iwaizumi's head felt fuzzy. He wasn't even sure who this kid was nor why he was yelling so loudly. Every sound rang like a bell through his ears. He groaned, feeling a numbness around his arms where the ropes held his limbs together. The kid helped him stand to his feet, yet, he swayed dangerously on the pavement. Blearily, he gazed at his savior and blinked in confusion.

"...who?"

"It's me, Iwa-chan! It's—"

At that moment, the man grabbed at the kid from behind and the boy shrieked, sending alarms blaring through Iwaizumi's head. Too loud. It was too loud. Whatever they were doing, it was too loud.

Be quiet. Be quiet. Just, be quiet... it hurts.

Iwaizumi squeezed his eyes shut and when he opened them again, saw the man crouched on the floor, his hands over his stomach, doubled over in pain. The boy stood shaking between Iwaizumi and the assailant, holding something sharp in his hands.

"You little shit—!"

"Run, Iwa-chan! I'll stop him! I'll—"

Iwaizumi didn't hear anything else. He felt his eyes flutter close and his knees buckle underneath him. The last thing he registered before blacking out was a loud crunch as something in front of him crumpled to the floor like a leaf.

---

Akaashi felt his mouth go dry.

"What do you mean you can't find Oikawa?"

Tanaka shook the folder in his hands, looking frantically at Kenma and Akaashi. "Exactly what I said??? I was walking for a really long time, but then I noticed there was something wrong with the folder and..."

Tanaka pointed at the indicator on the file where half a name was scribbled. "What... what was the king's first name??"

Both guardians stared at the folder dumbfoundedly before looking at each other in equal confusion. Oikawa's first name...?

"Wasn't it..." Akaashi began, but stopped, feeling his mind come up blank. "It started with a K...?"

Kenma gave Akaashi a strange look. "I thought it started with S..."

"C for me..." Tanaka mouthed.

The three of them stood there in silence, the light from the doorway a little too blinding for each of their eyes.

"Guys..." Tanaka stammered. "What... what do we do?"

Akaashi wound his hands together and Kenma curled up a little tighter in his seat. Tanaka stared at the two of them with slight panic in his eyes.

"F...first, we should call Tsukishima," Akaashi started, looking down to pick at his fingers and refusing to meet eyes with the other guardians. "He should know about Oikawa too."