ACT III - SCENE VIII

ACT III

SCENE VIII

[Setting: In CODY's house. QUINN is heading towards the hallway, and when he gets there he looks for the bathroom door.]

QUINN: (Turns head at the sound of crying.)

QUINN: (Spots the door with the dangling bunch of keys.)

QUINN: CODY? CODY is that you? It's QUINN. I'm here, please don't cry. (Fumbles with the lock until it clicks open with a turn of the key.)

QUINN: CODY... (He trailed, not knowing what to make of the crying person curled up by the door.)

QUINN: CODY... (Makes to kneel by him before taking CODY's hands away from his face.)

CODY: (In a low surprised tone.) QUINN?

QUINN: Yes, it's me.

CODY: (Smiles weakly before bursting into another round of sobs.)

QUINN: (Sighs as he pulls his boyfriend into a hug, letting him cry as he rubbed circles on his back.)

CODY: I thought you'd hate me — didn't CHARLES say something?

QUINN: Yes.

CODY: (Pulls away from QUINN before rubbing his eye with the back of his palm.) Thanks for not believing him.

QUINN: You'd think I'd believe him? (Frowns, a little hurt.)

CODY: (Opens mouth before closing it, then opening his mouth to speak again.) No, I — I was just scared. (Covers face with palms.) I don't know... I'm sorry.

QUINN: (Pulls CODY back into a hug.) Don't say sorry. You've been saying sorry for things that aren't your fault all your life. Don't apologize.

CODY: (Nods into QUINN's shoulder.)

[After a while of just hugging each other in the bathroom the two pulled away from each other.]

QUINN: (Smiles at CODY.) Where are your stuff?

CODY: In the room. I'll go get them. (Stands up before leaving the bathroom.)

QUINN: (Gets ups before following CODY.)

QUINN: (Pauses in the hallway when he spots CHARLES looking at them from the edge of the hallway.)

QUINN: (To CHARLES.) Thanks again.

CHARLES: (Groans.) The both of you should just leave — get out. (He says but walks out of sight, probably in the direction of the kitchen.)

QUINN: (Frowns, but doesn't go after him.)

QUINN: (Turns at the sound of a door closing.)

QUINN: (When seeing CODY with his sweater and backpack.) Oh, you're out. Is that all?

CODY: (Smiles a bit.) Yeah, I don't have much.

Silence.

[QUINN looked at CODY. He looked tired, but there was a smile on his pale face. His dark long hair looked like it had been messily brushed aside with fingers, which was probably the case.]

QUINN: (Smiles.)

QUINN: (Reaches out his hand for CODY's darker one.) Come on, let's leave. My mum will get worried. She made dinner for you and all, and you couldn't make it.

CODY: (Walks over to him in big steps, giving his hand to QUINN before the two make it out of the small flat.)

[The two boys walked through the dimly lit streets in the cold night, hurdling together, hand in hand — and even if it was cold CODY felt warm.

He felt free.

Alive.]

Curtains fall.