touchdown - [stanlon]

[fluffy!stanlon]

IN WHICH STANLEY URIS, THE QUIETEST BOY AT SCHOOL, IS THE LOUDEST BOY IN THE CROWD AT DERRY HIGH'S FOOTBALL GAMES

stanley uris was quiet.

he was soft spoken, polite, funny even, even if he didn't really have the confidence to express that outside of his friend group. he'd been asked before by one of his teachers if he was selectively mute, to which he had flushed a bright pink and quickly replied with a hasty no. stanley wasn't mute: he was shy.

but when it came to derry high's football games, stan could be heard cheering on the team louder than anybody else in the crowd. and it wasn't like nobody knew the explanation, because everyone did. except stan.

"man, stud-ley" richie had chimed in once, clapping a hand on stanley's jersey clad shoulder as he leaned over, seated on the row behind him on the bleachers. "eddie never screams like that for me. maybe i should start hollering at his spelling bee tournaments?" richie had chided, receiving a lively punch to the upper arm from the red-faced kaspbrak boy as he sat next to him.

"i'm not even on the spelling bee team, rich" eddie had grumbled from behind stan, but stan hadn't really tuned into their conversation until richie had piped up once more.

"i know that!" he squeaked, leaning back a bit as he observed the field with a lazy sense of excitement. "all i'm sayin' is stan has crazier googly-eyes for hanlon than we do for each other even. and eddie dearest, i could look at you forever!"

stan's face had lit up like a christmas tree before he had turned around, and when he had twisted around to give richie a sharp look of disapproval, a ripe grin had wiggled it's way onto richie's face as he understood the chord he had struck. oh, stan realized, he had really done it for himself then, hadn't he? because richie's eyes spoke loudly enough, even if he didn't say anything. he knew now.

he knew now why, when stan had mentioned previously that baseball was the only sport he could ever grasp and enjoy, he attended the football games anyways. oh, richie's eyes said: you'll never live this down.

because stanley uris was starry-eyed for mike hanlon, and richie tozier knew it.

stan still attended every single game that season, however: never failing to attend every single one and practically scream his lungs out each and every time. it was the last game of the season, however, that really changed stan's perspective on the game itself.

tucked into the bleachers amongst the rest of the losers, stan had been watching eagerly with the rest of them, hands practically glued to his cheeks as he sat patiently and watched the happenings on the field. they didn't seem to be doing so well, and stan, perfect posture stan, practically slumped in his seat.

"hey stanley" richie had chirped from behind him, causing stan's shoulders to stiffen a bit as he heard the boy.

"what, rich?" stan had muttered under his breath, never tearing his eyes off of the field as mike made his way across the green, speaking in passing to a couple of his teammates as they got set up.

"this isn't lookin' too good, eh?" richie had continued, a little bit too casually for stan's liking. stan had paused then, twisting back around to look at richie uneasily.

"what's your point?" stan had responded, eyeing richie with a sense of distrust. rightfully so.

"well, i propose an idea. we all know you've got a mega crush on mike—" stanley practically yelped at this, reaching out and slapping richie's kneecap as he turned back towards the field, his cheeks lighting up a dull crimson. richie carried on as though stanley hadn't chosen to turn away from him.