#3: In the Name of Love

Prompt: Coffee

   It was late in the evening. The sun was just falling below the hills, it's rays reflecting across the shining river. Two youngsters sat admiring it all. The first, a girl, flicked a lock of light brown hair over  her shoulder and look at the second, a young boy. Neither could be any older than 16 or 17 

   The boy held a mug of coffee in his  right hand and had an odd little scarf around his neck. In his left he carried a single drum stick. Not the kind you eat, the kind you play drums with. This struck me as odd but I ignored it and watched the couple. 

   I watched as the boy stood and placed down his drum stick so he could take the girls hand. I was a good distance away but I could faintly here what they were saying. 

   "Hi my name is H.R." the boy said, holding out his hand to the girl. 

   She looked as confused as I did when she shook his hand. Obviously they had to know each other right? And what kind of a name is H.R.? 

   "Okay? Nice to meet you I guess?" the girl smiled playfully.

   The couple started strolling up and down the river bank, occasionally coming into earshot. 

   "Imagine the possibilities!" I heard the boy shout emphatically, throwing his free arm up into the air for emphasis, "a particle excelerator could change the way the world works." 

   This all thoroughly confused me but the girl seemed to be loving it. She laughed and smiled, exposing a row of beautiful imperfect teeth. I was taken aback by her smile. She had a gap between her two front teeth and lines that formed around her eyes that gave her a young charm. The boy seemed taken with it to.

  Having walked up and down the bank a few times the boy came to a stop. Thankfully they were close enough that I could here what was being said because things seemed to be getting interesting. 

   "Jade." The boy took the girls hand. "I've always needed coffee for energy but I don't need coffee when I've got you." 

   I gasped as the boy raised the coffee mug over his head and poured it on himself. The girl's eyes grew wide and she threw her head back in laughter. 

   "Oh my gosh! Why would you do that?" She exclaimed through bouts of laughter, "this is probably the cheesiest thing anyone has ever done for me." 

   Despite his sticky coffee covered clothing she engulfed him in a hug. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head. 

   The whole ordeal made me think of when I had someone to love. Back when I was young. I was never quite so bold but my Ellie had all she ever wanted. She would have loved to see this. It would have made her so happy to see a young couple falling in love in the same place we had. 

   I looked down at the bench on which I sat and saw a beautiful ornate urn sitting there. Ellie had wanted to be left to rest by the river. It was her favorite place to be when she was alive and now she would get to stay here forever. 

   I took the urn and removed the top. The couple had gone and I made my way over to where they were standing. A pool of coffee still sat on top of the muddy soil. 

   "In the name of love..." I breathed. 

   Ellie's ashes spilled out of the urn and onto the soil. Even though it had been 60 years since we met I still remembered this spot. Ellie and I bumped into each other and tumbled into the water. I was 12 then and she was 13. We married 8 years later. She died peacefully in my arms here in this same spot. We both knew it was coming and wanted her last moments to be spent somewhere she loved. 

   The ashes fell and the wind picked up, caressing my cheek as it blew. Almost as if she was giving her last goodbyes. 

   A single tear fell...

   In the name of love. 

-------xXx-------

   Finally I posted a new chapter. I've found so many great writing prompts but haven't found one that really sticks for me and I've been having major writers block. I ended up taking a personal experience and turning it into a story. Yes, the coffee thing actually happened to me lol. It was the cutest thing ever. By the way there were a lot of references to a certain amazing TV show so if you know what it is comment! The first one to guess correctly gets a shout-out in my next chapter and my book reviews book! \^o^/ 

   If you guys liked this please leave a vote and leave a comment with your story prompt for later chapters. :) 

   Love you guys! -Jade