Chapter Two

Chapter Two
Dark Brown Eyes

There were far too many giggling girls in the Slytherin common room.

It was about the sixth time that Tom Riddle had read through the same line of his Defense Against the Dark Arts book; and each time he was about to finally finish reading through his homework, a sudden burst of giggles would interrupt his train of thought and all he had read would disappear in a puff of smoke.

His quill rested on the near bottom
of his half- filled parchment, a single blot of ink on the spot where it lay for more than a few minutes due to the lack of the common courtesy called silence.

"Would you please—" Tom pursed his lips as he turned to face Abraxas Malfoy with his annoying golden hair and giggling group of adoring fans at the opposite side of the room. "—stop flirting, Malfoy?"

The blonde wizard's face seemed to twitch from smugness to fear for a fraction of a second before returning completely to the former, his lip curled into a seductive smile.

"Your wish is my command, Riddle," he stood and dipped his head at the Head Boy in a mock bow, murmuring apologies and promises to the witches (who constantly stole glances between the two handsome boys) before retreating to the safety of his dorm.

Oh god, Tom rolled his eyes at the expressions of the star-struck girls as soon as he returned to the task of filling the entire 3 feet of his roll of parchment with his understandings of the lesson. Now they'll probably just start to giggle and gossip about me now that Malfoy is gone.

It was not long before the sounds of his quill scratching against the parchment was drowned by the irritatingly long giggle that followed shortly after whispers of his name were mentioned by a few of the girls.

If I didn't have an image to keep up, I'd have burnt this whole room, along with those stupid girls, to a crisp by now, Tom thought to himself as he shut his book, rolled his parchment carefully, and stood from his chair. Let's see who between us would be giggling by then.

Those thoughts alone had seemed to comfort him in a curiously calming (and as those muggles would say, 'messed-up') manner, and the annoyance he felt dissolved like mist.

Deciding to continue his homework elsewhere, he gathered his materials and climbed through the exit of the Slytherin common room, pausing for a short while to ponder on his current options.

The library would be far too dark for him to see anything and it would be an annoyance to have that old batty librarian hovering over him and breathing down his neck. Although he could try charming her with his suave to leave him alone, Tom did not feel like faking smiles and compliments as of the moment.

There was also the silence of an empty classroom that he had just stumbled upon recently, but it would put him at a rather large disadvantage if he was to be caught 'lurking' around Hogwarts by the school's caretaker, what's-his-name.

The Room of Requirement it is, then.

Tucking his things under his arm, Tom bounded for the seventh floor, his feet quietly drumming a steady beat on the stone floors as he walked through the moonlit halls of Hogwarts.

Did it work? were the first three words that entered Hermione Granger's mind as she shakily rose her head up from the ground from which she had landed face-first on. Did the time-turner take me back to 1944?

When she took in her surroundings, she noticed that the room was the same as it was before she had made use of the golden time- turner; numerous shelves lining the walls and its objects—

They're back to its original places. Does that really mean what I think it does?

Groaning, she groggily shifted to a more comfortable position as she took
in the numerous injuries that she had received from both the battle and Bellatrix Lestrange. Blood still seemed to be oozing from her more bigger cuts and some bruises had turned to an alarmingly dark purple but Ginny, Hermione noticed through her blurring vision, had done an excellent job patching up some of her minor injuries.

Thank the Weasleys for Ginny.

Wiping some blood off from her mouth with the back of her hand, Hermione pushed herself up with great difficulty and started for the exit, swaying a little as a wave of light-headedness crashed into her. She leaned against the wall for support.

I need to rest.

The corners of Hermione's vision had once again begun to darken as she slowly slid down the wall and attempted to blink her eyes awake.

It was when the door of the Room of Requirement swung open that she allowed herself to meet a a curious set of dark brown eyes— so dark that they almost seemed to be black— before letting the darkness take over her.

If anyone has any information on the faculty during Tom Riddle's time (1944), please feel welcome to share what you know in the comments section below!

s i d e n o t e
I just realized that I've completely forgotten the fact that (correct me if I'm wrong) the Heads have their own separate quarters. I won't, however, change anything in this chapter since I'm quite satisfied with how it's turned out. I'll be sure to take note of this for future chapters though!