Not at 27

"No! Nonononono! You can't just up and leave! I can't get to the airport in time to see you off. Zane, what are you doing?" Jessica cried at two in the morning as Zane walked away from the check-in desk, a paper ticket in his hand, his hold-all over his shoulder.

"Locke's better, that's all I came back to the UK for. Now that he's up and about and getting on with work again, I'm heading back to get back to my own work."

"Bullshit!" Jessica snarled and Zane stared at the phone because she was never that crass. "Why are you running away? I thought you and Locke had finally figured things out! I thought you were going to make a go of it!"

"I didn't think you supported the idea of us being together."

"Eh?"

"Locke told me once that you'd warned him off. Saying a gay relationship would wreck my career. I didn't think you wanted us to be together."

"Oh please! I've shipped you two since we were seventeen. You're like my OTP but in real life! I warned him off because he was so unstable then and I didn't want you being involved with a lunatic. The Male/Male part wouldn't exactly help but Locke was and is the type to bring scandals in his wake. Now? Sure, you're a national treasure, you can do what you want and not really be touched. Then? Please. You didn't need a hindrance."

Zane snorted. "I'm not sure how I feel about being a ship for fangirls but alright."

"It's not alright because you're leaving!"

"Yeah, I am. I'll be back. When Locke is settled again and knows what he wants to do."

"He knows what he wants to do. Today was the calmest I've ever seen him. He settled. So suddenly it was like a switch but he settled. You can't just walk away!"

"Sorry, Jess."

"You're being unfair and stupid and ruining everything! All the torment, all the years, all the unsaid words and unmade actions! You're throwing a chance away!"

"Jeez, you don't hold back, do you?"

"Do you know what it's like working for Locke when he's in pain?!"

Zane flinched at her scream.

"Do you have any idea? It's heart-breaking and terrifying! His staff fear him! People won't stay in the same room as him! Concert venues always ask after his mood before we get there because they don't want their staff upset! And yet people stick it out and stay with him because you can feel the pain bleeding out of him when his eyes turn wild. You can practically see his mind breaking on him. But today... today he was so calm. So responsive and easy. His music... those simple tunes that don't compare to anything he's known for... they were so beautiful. I've never heard him sound so genuinely at peace. I don't want to see him tip over the edge again. The next time he over-doses; I don't want to be the one to call you and say he was announced dead on arrival."

The idea of that call made Zane's blood run cold and his words stuck in his throat. He looked down at his boots, opening his mouth to try and think up an argument for his behaviour – which was nothing more than an act of cowardice because he couldn't figure out what Locke's behaviour meant and he was too scared to find out it meant everything was finished.

A cool, calloused hand slipped into his and he looked around.

Locke looked up at him from under a hoodie, his eyes heavy with tiredness but he squeezed Zane's hand.

Zane stared at him, his mouth open but silent.

Locke gestured to some empty seats away in a corner of the departure hall and Zane followed like a sleepwalker as Locke walked over and took a seat, Zane following.