Part 6

So, Sasuke, I suppose this is why you came back?"

Naruto's eyes widened and he turned to stare at Sasuke, not knowing how to feel. If he thought about it, Shikamaru's assumption made perfect sense. But that meant that this new dynamic to their relationship was not a new idea to Sasuke. This meant that the brunette had liked Naruto for some time now.

As badly as he wanted to, Naruto couldn't hide the shock from his face, even as Sasuke coloured and glared a thousand daggers at Shikamaru. His jaw was locked in a tense, unyielding frown, and his chin jutted out rebelliously.

"Don't make deductions with minimal evidence, Nara." Sasuke's piercing gaze darted to Naruto and somehow his expression became colder. The blonde raised an eyebrow but said nothing. He didn't want to say the wrong thing, potentially upsetting Sasuke - in front of Sai no less - especially after the day they had had. What with the photo of Itachi appearing and the fight that had led to the kiss.

And holy shit they'd kissed. A strange heat worked its way to his cheeks and he suddenly found the ground very interesting. For some strange reason, Naruto just couldn't fathom that he had just kissed Sasuke, or, more accurately, that Sasuke had kissed him. His lips wanted to twitch into a dumb smile, but didn't. If Shikamaru saw him smiling like a schoolgirl, he would realize that Naruto had liked the kiss.

...He had liked the kiss.

Naruto suddenly felt light-headed. He just wanted to sit down and absorb what had just happened. One minute he had been fighting with Sasuke, prepared to rip his head off for being such an indecisive, insensitive jerk, and the next he was pinned up against a wall and being ravaged.

Ravaged, he liked that word. Naruto didn't smirk, though he wanted to, as he thought of how appropriate the word was. The kiss certainly hadn't been gentle, he doubted any aspect of their friendship ever could be, but it hadn't been painful and savage either. It had been everything they were. Conflicted, rough, passionate, and grudgingly affectionate.

His lips twitched upward and Naruto pinched his leg, trying to pull himself out of his giddy thoughts. Sasuke had just kissed him and it had been wonderful. He had been wonderful. His back had been surprisingly muscular, more so than his deceivingly lean figure led on. And his lips had been so smooth; not chapped and dry, as Naruto knew his were.

The boy's breath hitched - a million embarrassed curses ran through his mind - and he brought his hand up to his lips with the pretence of scratching his chin, feeling the skin to see just how rough it was. If they were ever going to kiss again - Naruto didn't think about how badly he wanted to - he would need to make sure his lips were more like silk and less like a gravel road.

Suddenly, a hard shove to the shoulder sent Naruto flying into the wall beside him. He crashed into it with a surprised groan and looked around, dazed and unsure of what had just happened. Shikamaru was frowning, Chouji was still as lost as he had been the first time Naruto had looked at him, and Sai was staring at Naruto with pity.

He raised an eyebrow at the boy and turned to Sasuke with a questioning gaze. Only Sasuke wasn't where he had been five seconds ago. Naruto felt his stomach clench and pushed away from the wall. That fucking bastard had not just left...

He ignored that Chouji's expression had morphed into one of concern and turned around, hoping - no praying. But it was happening. He tried not to show the unbelievable disappointment and rejection he was feeling because he had actually thought for five seconds that Sasuke might care - actually fucking thought that that bastardmight cared about Naruto just half as much as Naruto cared about him...

But there it was, just like every other time, Sasuke's back, emblazoned with the Uchiha fan, disappearing into the shadows.

"Where the fuck are you going?" Naruto demanded, not really giving a fuck that Shikamaru's gaze had hardened into a sympathetic frown of disapproval. He had never been able to see how Sasuke was worth it; then again, he'd never seen Sasuke. Not like Naruto had.