Part 12

The air was moist and the dimly lit hall was so quiet that the resounding splash as a water droplet fell felt deafening. Without considering, Naruto began to walk forward, uncaring that his feet sloshed noisily in the thin layer of water covering the ground. There was another drop and the blonde shinobi turned a corner, stopping with a small gasp of surprise as he realized that the Kyuubi was blocking his way. The demon stared at him; one vibrant red eye so dark it looked black nearly was the size of the boy's entire body.

The cage that normally confined the Kyuubi was missing three bars, Naruto noticed detachedly, and the beast had managed to slide its head through the open space. The blonde couldn't decide whether or not he was glad the body had not followed.

Sighing wearily, Naruto stared at the Kyuubi and furrowed his brow, trying to figure out what on Earth was going on outside this cage, which existed in his mind. "He's freeing you?" The shinobi asked, rubbing his eyes against the overwhelming heaviness that was pulling at them.

The demon snorted, sliding its massive head forward along the ground. It ignored the water that boiled and steamed as it neared the child, creating an ominous cloud of smoke that obscured the glowing red of the animal's eyes. "No, not freeing me."

Though some part of Naruto registered the danger, he couldn't quite feel the urgency that the logical portion of his brain was trying to impart unto him. "Oh?" he prompted.

Naruto's eyes fell to half-mast as the beast drew dangerously close; the water around the boy's feet began to dissipate into a thick cloud of steam. The blonde stumbled backward, his feet dragging through the water, as he nearly lost his balance.

"The idiot is merely attempting to transfer me," the demon said, barking out a laugh as it continued, "I have no doubt he will be absolutely surprised when I do not follow his plans."

The corridor shook, dust and bits of chipped ceiling falling into the water, and another bar disappeared.

"I'm going to die." It was said as a statement and yet, Naruto looked at the Kyuubi with muted curiosity. Everything was weighing down. His eyelids, his arms, even his jaw was pulling down, trying to drop open and minimize its distance from the ground. He couldn't feel the fear he knew he should be experiencing, nor could he feel the panic that was causing his heartbeat to quicken. "How?" he finally asked, around a deep heaving breath.

"By transferring the seal to an external location and then into his own body, of course." The Kyuubi grinned and the yellowed daggers that were its teeth glinted ominously. "He doesn't realize that the seal will be weak enough for me to break when externalized however - especially because he is arrogant enough to try the jutsu alone."

"Don't hurt them..." Naruto exhaled in a sigh, his head lolling tiredly to the side as he fought to stay standing - fought to draw in proper breaths.

"Your friends?" The fox's grin grew and he slinked forward a bit further, nearly touching Naruto. The boy felt his knees giving way under him. "Don't humour me, boy. I'll send them right along after you to the land of the dea-"

The words died in the air as Sasuke's form appeared beside Naruto. The blonde almost registered feelings of surprise but it was as if there was a thick net dividing his mind from his emotions. As it were, he merely blinked, the motion sluggish as his body continued to slow down in contrast to his steadily increasing heartbeat.

"Sasuke," he murmured, not noticing the hand the other had secured around his waist, holding him up. "You need to leave... take S'kra." His words slurred and the blonde let out an elongated yawn.

"We aren't leaving without you," the Uchiha insisted, pulling Naruto away from the Kyuubi, who was smirking at them. Naruto lifted his head and peered at Sasuke through the corner of his eye.